Indian Ornamental (female) + Singapore Blue (male)

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This would be more like trying to breed a lion and a housecat.
that logic fails too. You can cross a "house" cat(Feline catus) and a bobcat(Lynx rufus). Or a house cat(Feline catus) and a lynx(Lynx canadensis). Or you can cross the two hybrids.

Best cat I ever owned, they are really hyper and very destructive. Are not for anyone that like their couch, bed, or cloths. they are really violent, but make really great pets.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that logic fails too. You can cross a "house" cat(Feline catus) and a bobcat(Lynx rufus). Or a house cat(Feline catus) and a lynx(Lynx canadensis). Or you can cross the two hybrids.

Best cat I ever owned, they are really hyper and very destructive. Are not for anyone that like their couch, bed, or cloths. they are really violent, but make really great pets.
I almost bought one and I know what you mean.......... they are impressive to say the least. The coloring is amazing, and the first time I saw one, the owners had it on a leash and were going for a walk with it.(yes a cat on a leash!!) They were standing next to a 10 foot wall while we were talking about it and the dang thing just hopped up on it like it was nothing. But they told me much like you said, it tore up the bed, couch, carpet. Anything really.
Lol really violent and make great pets? How does that work? {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sorry mate, but he aint!
Then lets see some proof. Mating pics, offspring pics.... something. Someone that was going to claim it happened would take the steps to have proof. Because without proof what is it really?
It's you taking his word, and having a complete lack of understanding about genetics.

This is a perfect example of being irresponsible with breedings.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ligers are Awesome :) Where can i buy 1? lol

Nothing is impossible just remember that.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Then lets see some proof. Mating pics, offspring pics.... something. Someone that was going to claim it happened would take the steps to have proof. Because without proof what is it really?
It's you taking his word, and having a complete lack of understanding about genetics.

This is a perfect example of being irresponsible with breedings.
actually it was prob a WC rosea and already gravid lol

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Not really. I chose the Lion/domestic cat example because housecats are in the subfamily Felinae, while lions are in the subfamily Pantherinae.

The lynx and domestic housecat are in the same subfamily, Felinae.

I've been reading since last time ;)

(Although I think you may have thought I was referring to BrachypelmaXGrammostola, while I was referring to CyriopagiopusXPoecilotheria)

sorry mate, but he aint!
Like Talkenlate said...prove it. Post pictures of the slings.

And like Drachenjaeger said, it was probably a WC female that mated in the wild and then dropped the sack in captivity.

The rest of your observations can be chalked up to the placebo effect.

Either way...it doesn't matter because the two different spiders this thread is about are even more distantly related than Brachypelma and Grammostola are; comparing them is just a bad analogy.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
because of how most people tend to lump all canids together and all felids together ignorantly, i think a more effective analogy would be humans and Orangutans.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not really. I chose the Lion/domestic cat example because house cats are in the subfamily Felinae, while lions are in the subfamily Pantherinae.

The lynx and domestic housecat are in the same subfamily, Felinae.

I've been reading since last time ;)

(Although I think you may have thought I was referring to BrachypelmaXGrammostola, while I was referring to CyriopagiopusXPoecilotheria)

You have me there I totally miss read what you were saying, sorry. I saw genus/genus and went off.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm staying out of this one, but...

Natural selection is what the hobby is all about - the excited discovery of a new species, the possibility of mutative processes, which has nothing to do with lab experimentation to produce (ie., production of), the Frankenstien tarantula. Just my thoughts.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Surely if this supposed cross-genus breeding took place, it would question all taxonomic classification of both genus at the very least.
By definition Brachy and Grammostola cannot breed.
Maybe mis-identified? possible but highly improbable.
tell your mate, if hes right he should post every drop of info on all major arachno-webforums. I know T-store forums would be pretty interested to hear.. if its true.
Insanely unlikely though, about as likely as the female tarantula giving birth to a kitten. lol..(jk)
Try reading about how taxanomic studies happen and you'l understand how unlikely any insemination, let alone producing a viable sac. Another possiblity could be a phantom sac, stimulated by the attempt of copulation.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that would be White for classifying B. emilia in a different genus than G. rosea. but then again, you never know until you try. anyone willing to sacrifice a brachy and a grammo in the name of science?

Last edited:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that would be White for classifying B. emilia in a different genus than G. rosea. but then again, you never know until you try. anyone willing to sacrifice a brachy and a grammo in the name of science?
Why is it so hard for people to understand that two members of different genus can crossbreed? Genus is man made classification, usually done by visual traits. It has nothing to do with genetics.

I mean if you want to get all technical about it. Pan troglodytes and Pan paniscus should be Homo troglodytes and Homo paniscus. I mean we are talking 94-99% the same genes, a divergence of only 4-6 million years, and a split chromosome. Really it is nothing.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hm, so your saying that tarantulas are visually classified.
Cant see that happening with redrump Ts, how many male Tarantuals grow into a Black spider with red setae on the opisthoma? 'when one appreciates there are now aprroximately 650 Theraphosidae spides, of which 100 could be deemed redrump' (the tarantula; classification and identification guide - A Smith)
Id say your selling people such as A Smith short.
Their jobs alot harder than such simple visual classification.
The spermethecae are completely different for the two, im sure the emboli would be too. Its a kind of lock and key fit as i understand.. EG, Avics are needle shape, Theraphosa have a thicker, stubbier emboli 'key'. Both are designed to fit the corresponding females 'lock'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species#Definitions_of_species
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus

Whats the poitn in them being diferent genus then?
Surely by your workings, they should all be in one genus?

as far as iv understood for most of my life,
A species is a selective group of similar organisms that can produce viable young from breeding. Crossbreeding is possible, and only partially accepted with tarantulas. I accept crossbreeding between members of individual genus, ie Brachypelma is possible.
Wh're talking seperate genus, i really cant see that happning
But just try naming one situation where members of two seperate genus actually have produced fertile young.
the whole classification system is nonthing more than human labelling into a uniform order. If the classification is correct, these two cannot produce viable sacs.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why is it so hard for people to understand that two members of different genus can crossbreed?
breed a grammostola and a brachypelma, produce a fertile sac, and show me the offspring. then i will believe you. or better yet, a poecilotheria and a cyriopagopus, like this topic's actually about.

Last edited:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But just try naming one situation where members of two seperate genus actually have produced fertile young.
the whole classification system is nonthing more than human labelling into a uniform order. If the classification is correct, these two cannot produce viable sacs.
Not a lot of research has been done on tarantulas or spiders.

But if you open it up to animal in general, then we see that 3/4 of bird naturally hybridize.

If you want to talk about plants and animals then an increable amount of hybrids are possible.

It is generally accepted that a species is two simallar adults that produce offspring that look like the parents. Not just viable offspring.

So to beat a dead horse, as said before the lynx and house cat can produce viable offspring. The cow and buffalo can produce viable offspring, in fact if you are in america I will say you have probably eaten this hybrid.

This goes all the way up to our closes genetic neighbors. Gibbons, Macacus, Cebus, Lemurs and other group hybridize in captivity.

It is really a long list but just for you I will point out one genus of tarantula that is generally accepted in the hobby the can cross the genus line.

Pamphobeteus antinous x Vitalius platyomma (Which is now Vitalius wacketi)

Brachypelma vagans x Aphonopelma anax

I have it on very good authority that these hybrids are possible and are fertile. Because of this cross breeding V. platyomma have been place into doubt.

I have no reason to doubt the people that say they are not.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we are talking about Poecilotheria and Cyriopagopus. there is a greater difference between them than between Brachypelma and Aphonopelma and between Pamphobeteus and Vitalius.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
we are talking about Poecilotheria and Cyriopagopus. there is a greater difference between them than between Brachypelma and Aphonopelma and between Pamphobeteus and Vitalius.
We where talking about brachys and gamma, but does it matter?

It is possible for to genus to crossbreed, you said it was not. Which is what i was pointing out.