In the last week, I have learned

Paiige

Arachnobaron
PAIGE REGINA CAME OUT LAST NIGHT OH MY GOSH SHES SO PRETTY AHHHHHHH
Awwww yay! She's beautiful. Looks like mine, all awkward long legs :D I rehoused her today and she was super cooperative, which I was not expecting! Very calm and sweet and she's been active since the transfer. I've been through about a thousand names for her but after today finally decided, here's my Sid :happy:

Attachments

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Awwww yay! She's beautiful. Looks like mine, all awkward long legs :D I rehoused her today and she was super cooperative, which I was not expecting! Very calm and sweet and she's been active since the transfer. I've been through about a thousand names for her but after today finally decided, here's my Sid :happy:
SHE'S SO ADORABLE yeah im hoping mine is in fact a female. I can't sex her until i get home on friday. My mom obviously doesn't know how to sex an exoskeleton. also that's the first picture ive ever seen of your baby girl.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Do you know how old she is btw? Mine was born November 1st, 2015. @cold blood says it was sometime in the first week of November so I'm just using November 1st.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For the first time yet, I saw one of my G. pulchripes molt a few days ago. I had missed all of their molts in the past. It is a male.
Do you know how old she is btw? Mine was born November 1st, 2015. @cold blood says it was sometime in the first week of November so I'm just using November 1st.
I think mine is from the same sac.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have no idea if she's actually female, I just keep calling her "she" in the hopes that it's true. Plus she's so sweet :D I also have no clue how old she is. After seeing her moving around yesterday I'd say confidently that she's about 2.5-2.75" dls. I picked her up from a LPS and I have no idea who they get their Ts from, it's possible that they're from the same sack. The guy working at the LPS doesn't really know anything about Ts, apparently his wife is the one who picks out what they're going to be ordering.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I have no idea if she's actually female, I just keep calling her "she" in the hopes that it's true. Plus she's so sweet :D I also have no clue how old she is. After seeing her moving around yesterday I'd say confidently that she's about 2.5-2.75" dls. I picked her up from a LPS and I have no idea who they get their Ts from, it's possible that they're from the same sack. The guy working at the LPS doesn't really know anything about Ts, apparently his wife is the one who picks out what they're going to be ordering.
Well when I get home on Friday I can confirm Regina's sex. Ventrally it appeared female on her last exoskeleton but I haven't seen the underside of the new one.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well when I get home on Friday I can confirm Regina's sex. Ventrally it appeared female on her last exoskeleton but I haven't seen the underside of the new one.
I hope she is female, if that's what you want! I'll be waiting for mine to molt, however long that takes

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I hope she is female, if that's what you want! I'll be waiting for mine to molt, however long that takes
Not even gonna lie if Regina turns out to be Rex, I'll immediately lose all affection for him and probably just sell him. Getting a male as my first would be discouraging.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Not even gonna lie if Regina turns out to be Rex, I'll immediately lose all affection for him and probably just sell him. Getting a male as my first would be discouraging.
My hubby's first T turned out male. And it's a GBB so it's like the worst kind of male o_O We're going to end up sending him out to breed once he matures because hubby can't stand the thought of watching him wither away...even though he's a mean little %$*@

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My affection will be the same for male or female. They are all beautiful creatures. My care will always be as though all of them are females. And odds are definitely in favor of a single sling being a male.

I will probably try to find a good home with a breeder for any male that I have no intention on breeding.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My hubby's first T turned out male. And it's a GBB so it's like the worst kind of male o_O We're going to end up sending him out to breed once he matures because hubby can't stand the thought of watching him wither away...even though he's a mean little %$*@
What do you mean with the GBB being the worst kind of male?
Don't know how it is over in the US, but mature males of that species are very much wanted here because the females are man-eating b**ches.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My 1st GBB was a male. I had a number of other slings so it wasn't a big deal. I'd just keep him and get something else.
I now have 2 male GBB and what I think is a female. It's kinda hard to tell since it hasn't molted in my care yet. I'll trade off the males as they mature and pick up something else. I did luck out with the B.smithi slings though both of them ended up female. It's fun raising them so if I need to buy a few more sling later it's not a big deal.

My problem is all the slings I have are getting big enough to require large scale rehousing and more care time. Recently, I've dialed back on the amount of Ts I've been buying to help with this. At least till I sex some of these and sell off the extras. :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My 1st GBB was a male. I had a number of other slings so it wasn't a big deal. I'd just keep him and get something else.

I now have 2 male GBB and what I think is a female. It's kinda hard to tell since it hasn't molted in my care yet. I'll trade off the males as they mature and pick up something else. I did luck out with the B.smithi slings though both of them ended up female. It's fun raising them so if I need to buy a few more sling later it's not a big deal.

My problem is all the slings I have are getting big enough to require large scale rehousing and more care time. Recently, I've dialed back on the amount of Ts I've been buying to help with this. At least till I sex some of these and sell off the extras. :)
I am concerned on the same area regarding housing. I am about to need to do a lot of rehousing (GBB, G pulchripes, P. Pulcher's). I want to determine sex for them first (if they don't destroy their next molt before I can see it).

I am figuring that I will use more fancy (long term) enclosures for the females. By this I guess it means I will eventually use a home built acrylic (once I learn the steps) or a purchased enclosure made for tarantulas in the meantime.

My males will still get nice proper sized homes but most will not be fancy types in the full size enclosures since I don't want to be stuck with a lot of unused expensive enclosures that take up space after the T's are gone. I have 90+ slings right now.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
What do you mean with the GBB being the worst kind of male?
Don't know how it is over in the US, but mature males of that species are very much wanted here because the females are man-eating b**ches.
That's exactly what I meant, I know breeding them is quite tough so we now have a boy hubby loves dearly, and our options are to either watch him waste away or ship him out to most likely be eaten :( I would love to have a few babies come back in return but I know the chances of him being eaten are pretty high.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's exactly what I meant, I know breeding them is quite tough so we now have a boy hubby loves dearly, and our options are to either watch him waste away or ship him out to most likely be eaten :( I would love to have a few babies come back in return but I know the chances of him being eaten are pretty high.
From that point of view i can completely understand. Either way you're losing him, and that sucks.:(

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
From that point of view i can completely understand. Either way you're losing him, and that sucks.:(
I'm going to part with my MM G. pulchra on Saturday, and it is making me a little sad already. He's the first MM I've had. But I know I'm doing the best thing...it's a win for everybody. He gets to (hopefully) fulfill his purpose, the hobby gets more G. pulchra slings, which is awesome, the breeder gets more inventory to sell, and I get some store credit, which has already been set aside for 3 new acquisitions, which is fun. Even if he were to be eaten, at least he had a shot. That could happen just as easily in nature, IMO. If a breeder is pairing them, he/she will try to fatten up the female first, so the odds of success might even be better than usual.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm going to part with my MM G. pulchra on Saturday, and it is making me a little sad already. He's the first MM I've had. But I know I'm doing the best thing...it's a win for everybody. He gets to (hopefully) fulfill his purpose, the hobby gets more G. pulchra slings, which is awesome, the breeder gets more inventory to sell, and I get some store credit, which has already been set aside for 3 new acquisitions, which is fun.
It's tough. My G. pulchra molted the day before yesterday and I'm hoping it's just too young for me to molt sex because otherwise it's looking male. I was hoping for a big fat lady that will live with me forever. :(

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's tough. My G. pulchra molted the day before yesterday and I'm hoping it's just too young for me to molt sex because otherwise it's looking male. I was hoping for a big fat lady that will live with me forever. :(
I was a little surprised to see the tibial hooks/sperm web/bulbous pedipalps already, because my boy Nibbles is still a shade under 5" and I thought he would be 6" or more when he was ready.

A female G. pulchra would be awesome, though. I plan to pursue that down the road.