In the last week, I have learned

Paiige

Arachnobaron
An animal won't starve itself ;) If it's a juvie or adult, let it starve for a couple months. It'll happily take down a dubia and then never have an issue with them again, in my experience at least. Unfortunately with slings, they don't have that kind of time to wait between meals. So you kind of have to coddle them.
He kills the roaches and will leave them next to his water dish for me to clean up. :troll:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My T.violaceus is giving you the finger...uhm..tarsal claw. ' I will not eat dubia. Period. 2 months no food? Screw you, eat that thing yourself!'
Seriously, she will not eat them. S.lateralis are fine, but dubia? Nope.
Send me that picky T. I bet I can get it eating dubias. :p

No matter at what stage of life or what their earlier owners fed them all the Ts I own have switched to dubias. I have an adult Ts that only ate crickets while growing up come to me and switch to dubias easily.

That being said IMO one feeder isn't better than another one. Feed what works for you.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
He kills the roaches and will leave them next to his water dish for me to clean up. :troll:
Does he eat from them at all that you can tell? Remember they do have a lot more "meat" in them than crickets. So he might be grabbing a fast lunch and leaving the rest. If mine do this I'll switch to a smaller roach or go longer periods between feeding.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't think it has anything to do with what he prefers, I think he's just being difficult on purpose. :(
I was mainly teasing Andrea82 about her T finger comment. :D

Maybe he is like a small child who is testing you cause he knows you'll give in to him. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Does he eat from them at all that you can tell? Remember they do have a lot more "meat" in them than crickets. So he might be grabbing a fast lunch and leaving the rest. If mine do this I'll switch to a smaller roach or go longer periods between feeding.
Nope he's definitely not eating them. I've watched him, he will grab it, hold it until it stops wiggling and then slowly and purposefully walk right over to his water dish and set it down on the right side of the dish, then walk away. It's comically frustrating. Same spot every time. And it's literally the only time he ever walks, he's relatively skittish so he's usually zooming around if he's not sitting in the same spot for hours at a time.

This is the same guy I was having trouble with about a month back. :zipit:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Send me that picky T. I bet I can get it eating dubias. :p

No matter at what stage of life or what their earlier owners fed them all the Ts I own have switched to dubias. I have an adult Ts that only ate crickets while growing up come to me and switch to dubias easily.

That being said IMO one feeder isn't better than another one. Feed what works for you.
I would, if not for those pesky import laws you have over there :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nope he's definitely not eating them. I've watched him, he will grab it, hold it until it stops wiggling and then slowly and purposefully walk right over to his water dish and set it down on the right side of the dish, then walk away. It's comically frustrating. Same spot every time. And it's literally the only time he ever walks, he's relatively skittish so he's usually zooming around if he's not sitting in the same spot for hours at a time.

Sounds like he is getting rid of unwanted pests in his home. Mine will kill the food sometimes and water dish it if they are not hungry.

boina

Lady of the mites
My T. cyaneolum will not take Dubias. Period. Unfortunately I'm the one who loses patience first, so she get's crickets. Several other of my Ts will only take Dubia if they are really hungry, i.e. shortly after a molt. Later they refuse and only accept crickets. And yeah, I know the *I don't want this here, let's kill it and drop it into the water bowl*.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

Ts are evil. I have two females who spit the super back at me. "Eeewww! You expect me to eat this icky thing?" o_O

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Well. I know who I will NEVER buy Dubia roaches from. I don't support SPAMMERS.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ts are evil. I have two females who spit the super back at me. "Eeewww! You expect me to eat this icky thing?" o_O
My MM P.cambridgei doesn't spit them back, but he gets scared when picking supers up. The worm just lays there quietlike, until he picks it up. When the worm starts wriggling violently he will drop it and run for his life :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've had many T's over the years do the exact same thing....

T: "Oh hey, it's lunch" *crunch!*
*super worm starts moving around violently*
T: "Ahhh! It's gonna kill me!" *drops superworm*
My GBB's on the other hand.....
'hey, a superworm. Meh. I'll just grab it for later. *grabs worm, worm wriggles* 'holy cow, it is defying me!' *wrestling match ensues*

Rob1985

This user has no status.
My GBB's on the other hand.....
'hey, a superworm. Meh. I'll just grab it for later. *grabs worm, worm wriggles* 'holy cow, it is defying me!' *wrestling match ensues*
Back in the day I had a juvy at the time Haplopelma minax (now Cyriopagopus) that would go off the rails bonkers when a super worm would wiggle around.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My B. boehmei gives me a threat pose whenever I try to feed her any kind of worm. Like "NO NO NO DON'T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT MOM GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE"