In the event of re-housing a burrowing T

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what's the best measure to take in preventing the thing lunging out at you? is there a way to coax it into a cup or something from the underground or can you just dig it out?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only have a few obligated burrowers, but when it is that time and I want to ruin their world and upgrade tanks or something I set the tank in the bathtub and take some room temp water that I had out over night in a pitcher and pour it down the hole. Sounds evil but as the burrow fills with water the T becomes a jack in the box and jets right on out. Since hes in the tub he cant go anywhere I have never had one get up the sides of the tub.

Or you can just set the tank in the tub or an open space and just start at the other end of the tank and methodically dig out the substrate. Then when you get close to the burrow gently push the substrate toward her, this will make her climb the burrow. Have a waiting deli to catch her at top of the burrow.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can the T's not climb the bath?? Could come in handy lol Not even arbs.?? Will come in handy when rehousing my P. ornata i reckon! LOL!

But yer.. generally.. flooding them out is the safest.. its how they catch them in the wild.. flood them out

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
wow, thanks for the advice!! i had the same question cause i need to rehouse my H. lividum soon!! haha, so they FOR SURE can't climb the sides of a tub? you know, i don't want to find out the hard way!!!:eek:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thats what i was thinking widowman lol Don't fancy a big pokie running round my bathroom! Too big to come out of the plug hole so i won't get away with that one lol

Oooh.. H. lividum.. treat you're in for! :p Lol!
I shouldn't laugh.. i have to rehouse my friends one soon *gulp*

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow, thanks for the advice!! i had the same question cause i need to rehouse my H. lividum soon!! haha, so they FOR SURE can't climb the sides of a tub? you know, i don't want to find out the hard way!!!:eek:
Nope never had one take off out of the tub. Their little feet can't grab anything on the smooth surface of the tub........ And plug the drain I forgot to say that. I did back in the day have a little guy shimmy down the hole and stay there for a while before coming out when I turned the lights off. I learned my lesson.

Now keep in mind if they make it to your arm that is a different story. {D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On the subject of bathtubs; It may make a difference whether you have an old fashioned porcelain tub or new-school vinyl tub. I haven't tried this method, i change my spideys out in a large plastic storage container (wal-mart). Can someone who's used this method say for sure if they can/can't climb new vinyl tubs? I'd imagine that porcelain would be pretty slippery tho'.

Also, anything to worry about regarding soap/detergents present in the tub?

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On the subject of bathtubs; It may make a difference whether you have an old fashioned porcelain tub or new-school vinyl tub. I haven't tried this method, i change my spideys out in a large plastic storage container (wal-mart). Can someone who's used this method say for sure if they can/can't climb new vinyl tubs? I'd imagine that porcelain would be pretty slippery tho'.

Also, anything to worry about regarding soap/detergents present in the tub?
I had my G. rosea out today I decided to test to see if it could climb in a vinyl tub. it stayed in one corner for like en mintues trying to climb and never made it an inch..
As far as soap/detergents go. I would think that a good wipe-down of the tub make it safe.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Yes they can climb tubs. Well arboreals can anyway. I had a mature male and adult female H. maculata both bolt up the sides of my tub right up to the ceiling.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For some reason I never have to resort to using the bath tub for any T; I just dig them out and have them run straight into a container in the middle of my room. I guess I'm more comfortable with my Ts?

Anyways, make sure you plug the drain before you try to do anything in it.:eek:

papanuelle

Arachnopeon
I have a laquered metal tub and let me tell you, my P. Murinus sling did climb it with no problem. Those little buggers are fast!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had arboreals climb my porcelain tub before but it still helps keep them confined. I plug the drain, the water spout and move the shower curtain.

I had to dig up a big female hap once, I just took the cage outside and started digging from the opposite end from the burrow. She came out and stopped so it was easy to cup her. I will try the flooding method when I need to rehome my lividium.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you have an older tub or deposites they can climb it. ive noticed with my tanks if there is just a slight film they go right up the glass. i can clean it real good and they have a really hard time getting any where.

_Nagash_

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is how I rehoused my Aphonopelma seemanni.

Alot of substrate already removed.

Using gloves this time, hate those urticating hairs

Here she is

In her transport box

In her new enclosure