Impulse buy

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Keeping spiders is the weakest part of the hobby. LEARNING the intricacies of every single species is where it's at. Expanding what you "THOUGHT" you knew. That's the truffle bite.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Congrats on your new Avic, your set up looks good. Your research paid off. Question though, have you come across nematodes in your reading? I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned this yet, and it's nightmare fuel for sure, but being that your avic could likely be wild caught, I think it's important to familiarize yourself with them and other worst case scenarios (bad molts, sucking stomach issues if you haven't already, though those can happen to any tarantula) and I also would recommend keeping that one far away from the pulchra for at least a few months just to be safe. Not to scare you, you're doing great, but with chain store tarantulas there is always the concern that it might not have been bred in captivity.
Edited to add, I'm no expert and have never seen or dealt with this before, this is just what I have gathered from my research.

xwildatheartx

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your new Avic, your set up looks good. Your research paid off. Question though, have you come across nematodes in your reading? I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned this yet, and it's nightmare fuel for sure, but being that your avic could likely be wild caught, I think it's important to familiarize yourself with them and other worst case scenarios (bad molts, sucking stomach issues if you haven't already, though those can happen to any tarantula) and I also would recommend keeping that one far away from the pulchra for at least a few months just to be safe. Not to scare you, you're doing great, but with chain store tarantulas there is always the concern that it might not have been bred in captivity.
Edited to add, I'm no expert and have never seen or dealt with this before, this is just what I have gathered from my research.
I had read up briefly on all that, but honestly it didn't even occur to me. Guess I just didn't realize it 😅 you have a valid point and I will definitely take all precautions and prepare for the worst. Thank you! 😁

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'd add a vertical piece of wood so it has a place to hang, make its hammock but looking good

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
@cold blood Care to drop some knowledge with that :meh:? Is there not a concern with potentially WCs potentially coming in with nematodes that can potentially be spread?

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Thats not something i would even be remotely worried about.
Well if it's coming from you then I tend to believe it, you haven't steered me wrong yet (except that one time when you told me poop cannons weren't a thing, lol) so I apologize for not knowing what I was talking about.
So is it just one of those myths born from paranoia, like feeder crickets killing Ts with parasites? Or just something that happens very rarely?

cold blood

Staff member
dont apologize...its just a rare thing, people hear about it a bit too much and worry, and if youre worried about an individual, clean or re house it...JMO...Ive had a bunch of wc ts and havent seen this yet.

I dont recall poop cannons, but i more likely warned about them...lol....mouths closed people.