Improve crickets

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi there,

I wonder if I could maybe feed vitamins or minerals to the crickets in order to improve their value for the T's. Does it work with some kind of vitamin powder mixed in water or food. Could I put for example ascorbin acid (vitamin c) in their water cup. That's what you get in pharmacies e.g.
Does it help a T or is there a remaining danger that it is not good for the T's health?
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Chris

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Crickets are regularly fed a "Gut Loading" diet to improve their nutritional value. Gut loading means feeding the cricks a high-protien, vitamin enriched diet.

I keep crix here, and I feed them Flukers cricket diet.

I know the Water gel i give the crickets has ascorbic acid in it (At least thats what it says on the bottle).

It is a good idea (From what I understand) to offer your Ts the healthiest food you can. Gut-loaded crickets help that.

So yes, Its a good Idea to feed Vitamins / minerals to the crickets.

I dont think that powder you sprinkle on the prey item before feeding does any good tho.. (But I could be wrong)

-Jason

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thx for the reply jason,
I didn't actually mean to sprinkle the powder on the crix before feeding. What I meant was to mix it in the crickets' water cup or in the food I offer them.

So what I'll do now is offer them some magnesium, calcium and ascorbic acid in their water cup.
Hmm some fact comes to my mind in the moment I write this. Do T's need calcium. They have no bones :D

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Hmmm

Originally posted by Mendnwngs
Crickets are regularly fed a "Gut Loading" diet to improve their nutritional value. Gut loading means feeding the cricks a high-protien, vitamin enriched diet.

I keep crix here, and I feed them Flukers cricket diet.

I know the Water gel i give the crickets has ascorbic acid in it (At least thats what it says on the bottle).
-Jason
Jason-

You get the Flukers and Water Gel from a pet shop? I buy a load of crix and keep them in deli cups for a couple of weeks until they all fall victims. But, I mist them for their water requirment and feed them fruit and veggies. I'd like to try that diet food, but what's with the water gel??

Dario

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
calcium isn't actually just for bones.

calcium is used for circulation and well, put simply, 'energy-production' (re: muscle contraction and the like). T's do need calcium...

not to mention some vitamin D (which translates alot of the calcium for energy production, especially during the wintertimes).

althouh T's don't have a 'normal' circulatory system..

oh, this post sucks.
i'm done :)
its too late and im tired. ill edit it alltommorow :)

later
dave

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I simply use dry dog food for crickets (special expensive kind, for puppies :))...it works perfectly...or at least crickets love it :)

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
My "cricket food" is cat food dusted with calcium powder:)
The crickets appear to love it. I have noticed that they do
not canabalize each other anymore. :cool:

@Dario~ water gel is exactly that, gel:0) It looks like Jell-o
It keeps the stupid cricks from drowning in the water dish.
I've used it befor, it works really good.
At the moment my crickets have a wet piece of cotton ball.
I'm hoping it will serve a dual purpose, a water source and a
place for their eggs to hatch.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now I mixed three different kinds of mineral water, 2 mineral tabs and a bit of ascorbic acid. What I got out is a drink with 23 different kinds of minerals and vitamins for them to drink. And they actually seem to like it :) dave, I also read about the energy thing :) I mixed 1,5 l of that stuff and it contains 385 mg of calcium, which IMO is a good percentage. The rest does the fish food I offer them as much as they want. It contains vitamins a, d, e and lots of protein. I hope they don't explode with all that :D

I have a dog which eats dry cat food :). So I have some things to choose. I guess, I'll try out that one.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by D-Man
Jason-

I'd like to try that diet food, but what's with the water gel??

Dario
The gel is enough water to keep the crix hydrated, but not liquid enough for them to drown in.

Thats all.. It just prevents cricket Aquacide ;)

-Jason

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just bought some cricket food.It's called "Calcium Plus".It says it's "calcium and vitamin fortified".It also says "gut loads for better carnivorous REPTILE nutrition".Obviously it's good for reptiles,so will it be suitable for T's?.I also feed my crickets a high quality fish food(Hikari..loaded with vitamins and minerals) mixed with a top quality dog food(eukanuba).Any thoughts?......peace..

Last edited:

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know how great it works. I feed my crickets tropical fish food Wich is cheap and has a load of minerals and protien.I water them with the same type of dish I use with my T, I put rocks in it for them to climb out and Ive never seen one drown.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Well, sounds like I can do without the extra expense on the cric food and gel. Thanks for the info guys!