improper enclosure? Please help?

Jacob B

Arachnopeon
I'm still very new to this, but I have took a liking to this hobby none the less. I am using a improper inclosure currently (which I ordered before hand, long story...) and it's all I have for my T. I'm extreamly worried she is going to fall and get seriously injured (or die..) before I can get a new enclosure that fits her size. I understand the hight is too much. Will I be fine? I'm low key in a panic right now. She is a rose hair, so I understand she needs more floor space than height. What should I do? Will this be fine? Is a drop really that bad?

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That height is definitely too much for a terrestrial species such as yours. Is there any way you can flip the enclosure onto its back?

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Do you think a day in this enclosure would be okay?
It would probably be okay enough until you can get something better. You definitely don't want her to fall from that height, you can adjust more later as you go ;)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I can tell you, for at least a year I kept my B. emelia female in a 12x12x18 exoterra (being the noob I was) and she was fine. I may have had quite a bit of luck, but a day will probably not have any risk. Just make sure to get her in the new enclosure fast, before she gets attached to it ;)

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T's do tend to spend some time hanging off the walls when they are in a new environment. If I was you, short of getting a different enclosure, I would move those fake plants to the ground around the edges, that way if she does get adventurous there is something there to break her fall. Even if you don't end up with a fatal fall there is the risk of broken back legs from that height.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I'm sure she'll be fine for a day. I wouldn't panic, its not like she's out to kill herself.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
You probably won't have any problem
keeping your rosea in that enclosure for a short period of time. Rosey's hate damp substrate but as I don't see any in your enclosure there is nothing that would really encourage her to climb. A fall could rupture her abdomen if she decided to climb so if you are really worried then just put her in any container you can puncture holes in and securely close. The size of the container really isn't that big of an issue for tarantula's as they live in burrows for the majority of their lives and those burrows aren't much bigger than themselves. Something twice it's size would work fine as a temporary home.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I would be running to the nearest Wal*mart or other store where you can get fairly flat storage tubs ASAP. It's a cheap fix until you get a nicer enclosure. Don't forget the air holes if you do this! :)

urbitchtina

Arachnopeon
Hobby Lobby carries display cases that you can use as a much smaller enclosure & they're fairly cheap as well!

cold blood

Staff member
I can tell you, for at least a year I kept my B. emelia female in a 12x12x18 exoterra (being the noob I was) and she was fine. I may have had quite a bit of luck, but a day will probably not have any risk. Just make sure to get her in the new enclosure fast, before she gets attached to it ;)
When an animal survives poor conditions, one should not use that as an endorsement for poor conditions.

That enclosure is 100% NOT appropriate for a terrestrial...change it immidiately.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you get a new enclosure for your Rosie you might want to get an Avic for this wonderful and expensive arboreal enclosure ;)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If you get a new enclosure for your Rosie you might want to get an Avic for this wonderful and expensive arboreal enclosure ;)
Or a Caribena! Those versicolors are amazing looking. Even I'm tempted to get one, and I don't want arboreals.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
When an animal survives poor conditions, one should not use that as an endorsement for poor conditions.

That enclosure is 100% NOT appropriate for a terrestrial...change it immidiately.
Trust me, it was long changed :D Just saying that it won't likely be bad if my stupid keeping lasted a half a year + ;)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
If you have any containers handy, even a large tupperware, you can throw some substrate into it and house the T temporarily in it.