Impaction question

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
Has anybody of you seen the latest Dark Den video, where he cuts open the abdomen of his recently died tarantula to pull out a massive dried piece of poop? How does this kind of impaction happen? Is it possibly a sign of Dehydration?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Nope I don’t watch anything that click bait keeper does, he’s only in it for the views and for me at least has questionable practices. I don’t feel he betters the hobby. <Stupidtube vent>

Impaction happens sometimes, not sure we have a concrete answer this way or that. I don’t recall ever getting a finite answer at least.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has anybody of you seen the latest Dark Den video, where he cuts open the abdomen of his recently died tarantula to pull out a massive dried piece of poop? How does this kind of impaction happen? Is it possibly a sign of Dehydration?
How do you know it's poop when he doesn't even know it's poop???

I don't watch the channel. If someone gets a cycst and cuts that T open, I'm in for sure.

Long before he was on StupidTube, he was a regular member here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have heard this but How long ago was that? Any reason he left if you know?
Not sure how many years. He and I used to speak every so often here. He's a nice guy. I initially contacted him because his videos were so much sharper than most everyone else doing Ts at the time. I wanted the info on his video gear. This was before people knew he had a channel outside AB. Like some people they liked it here, and wanted to experiment with tube. There's only so much time in the day, can't do both etc!

The only reasons I watch T videos are below.
1. Info on species filmed in the wild
2. Seeing what a species actually looks like
3. Assorted rehousing builds etc as I'm not the most DIY kind of person due to time constraints (in particular he has a nice vid on using CD cases as a T home)

I don't surf the tube at all though, no time to watch and sift through oodles of channels that mostly contain info I'm not interested in.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
No one knows for sure exactly why it happens. I think it would be interesting though to look at the impacted feces under the microscope and compare it to normal fecal material. There are still so many things we don't know about these animals....what exactly can cause bad molts, why impaction sometimes occurs, sex ratios in egg sacs, etc. Really interesting stuff that we still have a lot to learn about.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Here is a good read it is slightly dated but still relevent:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
There is not much known on what causes impaction as there really isn't any studies on it that I'm aware of. Hopefully, someone knows the causes as to why it happens. But at the moment, the most we can do is just make guesses or suggestions as to how/why it happens.

As for The Dark Den, he makes videos for entertainment so the information is hit or miss majority of the times. I don't hate the guy since he seems to be a normal person, but I don't like the fans as they literally have to justify everything for him. So it can be discouraging at times especially when a video is full of misinformation or outdated information/data. I have no idea where the majority of Youtubers get their information, but it isn't from here the majority of times. But to each their own.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
There is not much known on what causes impaction as there really isn't any studies on it that I'm aware of. Hopefully, someone knows the causes as to why it happens. But at the moment, the most we can do is just make guesses or suggestions as to how/why it happens.

As for The Dark Den, he makes videos for entertainment so the information is hit or miss majority of the times. I don't hate the guy since he seems to be a normal person, but I don't like the fans as they literally have to justify everything for him. So it can be discouraging at times especially when a video is full of misinformation or outdated information/data. I have no idea where the majority of Youtubers get their information, but it isn't from here the majority of times. But to each their own.
I believe majority of new keepers are from ....I hate to mention it, Exotic's Lair.

I could not find any recent study done by any arachnologist on impaction. What definitely causes it no one knows 100%.

However there are theories and one of them being related to molting. Alot of cases I remember reading involved their tarantula recently molting like in weeks some a month to little over a month. Whether it is in correlation, yeah no one really knows. It is also uncommon to happen.

All I do know is I don't want it to happen to my T's and don't want it to happen to anyone else's T's. The mortality rate is real bad, most die from impaction. That's with intervention trying to help it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The only theory I have for this impaction issue (and btw, seems that lately the "My T's died due to impaction" jumped out quite a lot) is that our T's, CB and well properly cared, eats too much compared to their counterparts that lives in the wild.

Nothing to do with terms such "powerfeeding" or else. Just... a bit "too much". While in the wild T's eats just like they live, so in a struggling, opportunistic way, our T's on the other hand lives 24/7 in a 5* restaurant. Maybe (who knows) this may cause some issues to some specimens in the long run.

That's the only thing I can think about this impaction affair.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
The only theory I have for this impaction issue (and btw, seems that lately the "My T's died due to impaction" jumped out quite a lot) is that our T's, CB and well properly cared, eats too much compared to their counterparts that lives in the wild.

Nothing to do with terms such "powerfeeding" or else. Just... a bit "too much". While in the wild T's eats just like they live, so in a struggling, opportunistic way, our T's on the other hand lives 24/7 in a 5* restaurant. Maybe (who knows) this may cause some issues to some specimens in the long run.

That's the only thing I can think about this impaction affair.
There's 100% truth to that. It's also another theory. I've actually only watched one video a long time ago of someone trying to help their T from impaction. The amount of feces that came out was overwhelming not to mention very disturbing for me to watch. Hence the one because I will not watch anymore.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Not sure how many years. He and I used to speak every so often here. He's a nice guy. I initially contacted him because his videos were so much sharper than most everyone else doing Ts at the time. I wanted the info on his video gear. This was before people knew he had a channel outside AB. Like some people they liked it here, and wanted to experiment with tube. There's only so much time in the day, can't do both etc!

The only reasons I watch T videos are below.
1. Info on species filmed in the wild
2. Seeing what a species actually looks like
3. Assorted rehousing builds etc as I'm not the most DIY kind of person due to time constraints (in particular he has a nice vid on using CD cases as a T home)

I don't surf the tube at all though, no time to watch and sift through oodles of channels that mostly contain info I'm not interested in.
I don't blame you dude. But I learned how to install Pex and braze my connections for free from YouTube. TikTok is where I draw the <edit> line.

Last edited by a moderator: