immanis bulldozer

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
so i've had my immanis, 4" female, for about 6 weeks... she's incredibly skittish, but otherwise generally well-behaved.

starting two days ago, she seems to have undertaken a landscaping project. large amount of soil are being pushed from one side of the terrarium into the center.
it doesn't really look like its trying to construct a burrow, its really just moving substrate from one place to another instead of trying to burrow down... and it already has numerous hides which offer nearly complete privacy.. humidity is well-maintained. so i am a little puzzled and curious as to what its trying to do. its such an elegant and lady-like spider, i never expected it to make such a mess! {D

thanks! :D
- munis

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sometimes, they just seem given to landscaping ;). no, honestly, several of my ts show this kind of behaviour after rehousing, my g. actaeon even gets an architectural fit every few months. i've never seen her burrowing, but every once in a while, she seems to want her tank to look differently. don't you put up new posters occasionally or buy new curtains ;). anyone with a better guess?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, i have no information, but i just had to say i loved the way you worded that. {D My T must hate it's landscapiung, because it spends all it's time on the roof, even tho it's terrestrial.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a wild-caught a.anax who was convinced that her tank needed to be rearranged. it took me weeks to find a spot to put here dish where it wouldn't be buried in less than a day.

she had a hide spot, several inches up substrate, and the proper humidity/food. she just needed to redecorate her new home.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think they just like to have things arranged to their own satisfaction. When I rehoused my juvie female B. albo, she went arboreal for two days and then came down and started a major earth moving project. It was really funny, she would dig, then pick up some substrate in her pedipalps, carry it across the viv, drop it, pat it into place with her front legs, and go back for more. She now has it built up on one side, and down to bare plastic on the other. She seems happy though, so I left it alone.