I'm very new at this/Romantic Bliss

R

Rookie

Hey everyone,
I'm incredibly new to the idea of keeping and caring for a T. So new, I only considered trying this out yesterday. I have been researching, but i still need some help. In my early planning phases, I'm considering a Brazzilian Black (Grammostola Pulchra), a Chilean Rose (G. Rosea), or a Mexican Red Knee (Brachypelma smithi).
Primarily, I need to know some things about why my friends/visitors shouldn't be afraid of my spider (aside from the fact that it's in a case). Are they very likely to be aggressive? Do they try to escape given the oppurtunity? Different things that the average person (including myself) does not know about a T. And, if anyone is in the mood to help out further, tell me how I can convince my girlfriend that getting a spider is a good idea.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Out of the 3 you mentioned, I would probably go with the Brazilian Black.

They're just as docile as the other 2.

They're nicer looking than the rosea.

They're less prone to hair kicking than the smithi.

As for reasons for your friends not to be scared of them:

No one has ever died from a tarantula bite.

I believe it's been said that at no time in your life are you more than 3 feet from a spider anyway so why not make it a big one you can look at.

These species are not likely to be agressive, but there are always the weird ones that could be.

They're not sitting there planning to get out of whatever you have them in, but they will try to explore their environment. If they can get out of their enclosure, they will be sure to take a stroll around and might not come back. Be sure you keep them locked up. :)

Females of these species can live for well over 10 yrs.

To get your girlfriend interested, show her a picture of a spiderling Avicularia versicolor. They're a really nice metallic blue when they're babies and it's never failed for me.

Hope that helps some.

Scott

R

Rookie

Thanks

Thanks very much Scott. I tried the "no one has ever died from a tarantula bite" bit, but it didn't work :) However, the other facts were very helpful. Thanks again. Wish me luck.

K

krucz36

hey! don't diss the rosies. personally, i love the common ol' G. rosea. mine are pretty cute tho, so i can't speak for anyone who ended up with a "boring" looking gigantic spider.
http://homepage.mac.com/babyfight/album/pages/003_jpg.htm
any standard cage you can get at your local pet store that has a lid that clicks, slides or latches shut should be acceptable. i'd be careful about the size of your spider though: i had a 1.5" H. gigas sling escape from a standard petpal that i just didn't think it would fit through. they're resourceful and persistent little guys.
i'd imagine you'd do well by treating them like tropical fish: look, don't touch, don't mess with 'em. plus, they rock to watch eat.
show the girlfriend a couple feedings and she'll come around.
hope that helps...
g

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with what Scott is saying, Show some pictures. My wife hated my T's (I always bought adult or close to it.) until I got my most resent which was a 1.5 sling. giant brazilian white knee. I had it for one day and it molted as she watched. That sold her on me having them. She still wont touch or feed them but it's a start.

MORBIUS

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep 'em comin'

Thanks for the advice guys. If you're curious, she's starting to cave. But, I think she wants me to cover his domicile at certain times. This concerns me because I know that it's best to simulate night and day with your Ts, but I don't know what sort of an effect this would have on my little guy/gal. If I made it night when it was actually day, would this affect my spider negatively?

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One more thing Scott

I forgot to mention; I checked out the Avicularia versicolor. I haven't shown it to my girlfriend yet, but you're definitly right; what a beautiful spider. I still think that the Cobalt Blue is the prettiest I've seen, but they're too complicated for me. I also enjoy the Usumbara Orange, but they're DEFINITLY too complicated for me. The G. Pulchra will be fine, if my love can be convinced. Anyway, thought I'd add this message for conversation's sake. Thanks everyone. You guys sure are supportive.
The Rookie

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
If she doesnt come round, lock her in your "Basement", and force her to handle and put up with them. Eventually she will come round. Or maybe not.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
perhaps disregard king looey's advice. but i'm not the boss of you.
cobalts aren't difficult to take care of, you just never see them, and never ever handle them. mine did something really cool the other day: a cricket cruising on top of the substrate, near one of her many many tunnels, got her attention. she burst through the ground, alien-style, and hooked the little bugger good, dragging it into her tunnel. i can imagine the little cricket screams..."heeeeeelp! somebody!" heheheheh

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I've never had a problem with my girlfriend. In fact, we have a shared collection which currently consists of a dozen or so herps and over 70 inverts. I do, however, have an idea of strategy.

First of all, let the spider thing "die away." Don't mention it for a while and pretend to have lost interest. Then, in a few weeks, come up with another idea. "Those deathstalker scorpions are so neat" might be a way to start. Alternately, "a crocodile would fit in our livingroom, wouldn't it?" may be the tact to take.

All of a sudden, you might find that she is encouraging you to go for that cute little Grammostola at the local pet shop. Either that or you will end up with a crocodile in your livingroom -- regardless, you win. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL!

I think I do this subconsiously...as long as I keep dropping hints about various venomous herps, my wife doesn't seem to mind any bug purchases!

Wade