I'm a daddy!!

snippy

Arachnobaron
Don't think for one minute, that getting young through the first instar (without the mother, that is) is anything like raising them through any of the later ones. It is not! It would not be a shame, nor would it be surprising, if most - if not all - of the separated young die.
The temperature is not the problem, but the humidity. And I don't think anybody is going to get you any helpful information on handraising the first instar young of this species, because most will not have tried. Just make sure they don't dry out, which is the main risk. Perhaps try keeping separat batches differently. At least then we might learn how to do it.

Regards
Finn

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I read a post from GS on another forum, I don't think I'm allowed to share where publicly, on how to raise them. I had them on very damp, not wet, coco fiber but decided to move them over to the damp tissue. He said it just has to be damp to the touch and not wet. So that's what I did. We'll see what happens. PM me if you want the link :).

When remoistening them should I not spray them directly? Not sure how to get the tissues damp without removing them all and respraying. It's been 5 1/2 days since their birth so I'm hoping they get ready to molt soon so I can have a final count and sell them. I'll probably keep at least one or two depending how many I have left... This has been a very stressing event! Next time I get "lucky" enough to have a gravid female all I'm doing is filling the water dish and spraying a small section once a week and then just ignoring her completely. What I should have done this time. If she eats them all, she eats them all haha

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
This has been a huge shitty experience... Two more dead babies are dead and the mother was found dead this morning.

The babies aren't drying out. I'm not sure how they would be. They're on damp tissues. Not soaking either so they shouldn
t be drowning.

The mother was found this morning with her sting in her mouth. She was poised in a threat display with her stinger in her mouth parts. I thought maybe I caught her grooming but when she didn't move when I took a closer look I knew she was dead. Not sure why her sting was in her mouth. She wouldn't eat either after I took the babies away. I'm guessing that the stress was too much for her.

I just over stressed her from the beginning. I should have just ignored her when I noticed she had babies and ignored her if she started eating them. Kept her on the bottom (I have a few mini kk stacked) and just left her alone.

Makes me just want to give up with scorpions...

snippy

Arachnobaron
Well, that's how most people learn. At least next time you are likely to handle it differently.

Regards
Finn

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read a post from GS on another forum, I don't think I'm allowed to share where publicly, on how to raise them.
I think you'll find that's just one of GS's rules for his site...he posts enough of his links on this site....

Makes me just want to give up with scorpions...
Reading back through this thread i was hit by how many times others advised you to leave her alone as well as your own remarks saying the same thing.....You kept the disturbance up and you paid the ultimate price....It's of course impossible to be absolutely sure if continued stress was the major factor to her's and many og her babies deaths but had you left her totally alone and still experienced the same thing you could at least have been pretty sure that the fault was not yours.

Instead of giving up on scorpions why not turn this defeat to a hard learnt lesson. The next time you have a female pop with a brood you'll be better equipt to deal with it. You now realise the importance of keeping stress to an absolute minimum...especially around those key events like late instar moults and births......and lastly.... just because a scorpion gives no physical sign of being disturbed when you flash a light on it you can't take that to mean it hasn't been disturbed.....It would also be hard for an animal hundreds of times larger than you to discern your angst provoked facial expressions or your stomach knotting up or the rise of adrenalin through your veins...to that large animal you're just standing there doing nothing ;)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys! Thanks for not giving me too much crap for stressing her out too much too!

I feel awful about it. I'm a grown up and will get over it but yes, lesson learned. My new motto for rearing mothers is "ignore her completely" with the exception of watering weekly, amount depending on species of course and maybe tossing in a dead cricket.

I guess I just felt confident with all the pictures I saw of mothers with their babies on back that I wasn't bothering her too much if other people could take all these pics and seemingly not bother theirs but I don't know all the variables either.

I'm not going to give up on scorpions but I don't think I'm going to be getting anymore anytime soon. I still have 5 other scorpions, 2 C. hentzi, 2. B. jacksoni, and one more little H. spinigerus and I'll just do my best to keep them alive. The H. spinigerus, both the mother and the tiny other one I have, seemed more susceptible to stress than the other species I have.

Thanks again!

I did consistently bother her less but I agree now that the flash light may have been bothering her too without her showing any signs.

Does anybody know if H. spinigerus is more susceptible to stress? I think I may have read that somewhere but I don't remember where. It may have been a generalization about desert American desert species too. I don't remember. I'm not looking for a scapegoat! I take the full blame.

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for not giving me too much crap for stressing her out too much too!
Well, now that you mention it...:)

Be careful about giving the female dead prey items. If she doesn't eat it, remove it immediately, I'd say regardless of isopods.
Most pics of the scorpions with babies are lucky or done when she is out and undisturbed.
I have found that many U.S. native species are generally hardy, but early instars, especially of Vaejovis spp., seem vulnerable, particularly to humidity. I know that H. spinigerus is rather hardy, though. It's definitely a larger Vaejovid.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Don't give up on scorpions, thats what i did with my crayfish after the parents died. I sold the little ones to pet stores, and they probably ended up as food for a larger fish, and maybe even bait for fishing. :( I regret this decision now, but its too late to turn back. I still want to be a marine biologist when I am older because of Una (her name) and her mate and babies.

That helped me convince my parents to let me get a scorp, instead of giving up after the first no.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys!

I'm not going to give up completely. I'll keep the ones I have but I might take a break from the obsession of wanting more.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not going to give up completely.
*Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around, never gonna desert you!*

Anyway, didn't you say this was your first brood? If that went perfectly smoothly I'd wonder what was going wrong, if you can understand what I'm saying. You would be rather lucky. It is something quite different, of course, to read about something and then to experience it; it's true for keeping scorpions.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Yeah, thanks.

I didn't even know she gravid when I bought her a month ago. I just pieced it together later on and then she had them. There's a local guy where I can probably buy another gravid female for 5 or 10 bucks but I don't think I'm going to try again right now. He's got a serious colony going on so hopefully he'll still have some a few months down the road. Thanks again!

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
*Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around, never gonna desert you!*
As if you just quoted Rick Astley! Would it be really lame if I admitted I was listening to this cd yesterday morning while getting ready for work?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
As if you just quoted Rick Astley! Would it be really lame if I admitted I was listening to this cd yesterday morning while getting ready for work?
This is absolutely terrible. It's one thing to not change the radio station but to own and actively listen to the cd? I'm very disappointed in you.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is absolutely terrible. It's one thing to not change the radio station but to own and actively listen to the cd? I'm very disappointed in you.
I have an appreciation for all types of music, even the uber-lame pop from the late 1980's!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
See njnolan1? Not only do I have a slappable booty, but I am cultured as well!

PS- how are your babies?
Not well... Thinking about trying it again. This local guy has some gravid females for ten bucks. Not sure if I'm quite ready this time. Of course this time I'll put her on the bottom of the stack and leave her the hell alone! Being that the original babies aren't even dead yet though and there's going to be a temperature drop I think I might just wait and see where I'm at next spring. Also, my fiance just told me not to because she can't take hearing me talk and worry about my scorpions anymore.

I think I might spend that money on a C. gracilis instead.

---------- Post added 10-03-2012 at 07:31 PM ----------

See njnolan1? I have a slappable booty
That reminds me. I need to go look at another thread for around 15 minutes or so. :p

Last edited: