Illegal Mantids

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Well, I did some research and learned that it is illegal to keep non-native mantis species of mantids in the US. I see there are dead-leafs being sold at Swift Inverts and I have some questions-
1. ARE they illegal in the US?
2. Would I get busted if I bought one?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nah, only a few are illegal. I don't think I would buy mantids from swift, try mantidforum and place a wanted ad in the classifieds. $30 for ONE or two dead leafs at L2 isn't a great deal. Down at mantid forums you can probably get 3-4 for 30$ shipped, plus extras. I don't know why they kind of mixed it up - but dead leafs aren't exactly the best begginer species. Ghost mantids on the otherhand are perfect. Easy to care for with all the crypticness of an exotic.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I did some research and learned that it is illegal to keep non-native mantis species of mantids in the US. I see there are dead-leafs being sold at Swift Inverts and I have some questions-
1. ARE they illegal in the US?
2. Would I get busted if I bought one?
Nah, only a few are illegal. I don't think I would buy mantids from swift, try mantidforum and place a wanted ad in the classifieds. $30 for ONE or two dead leafs at L2 isn't a great deal. Down at mantid forums you can probably get 3-4 for 30$ shipped, plus extras. I don't know why they kind of mixed it up - but dead leafs aren't exactly the best begginer species. Ghost mantids on the otherhand are perfect. Easy to care for with all the crypticness of an exotic.
1.) Legality of anything in the US depends heavily on state, county, municipality, etc.
2.) IIRC, all non-native mantids are illegal, as a result of USDA regulations. Not so much because of the thread of the mantid themselves, but because of their gut flora.
3.) Busted? Not likely, most law enforcement is too busy with more important matters, but I'm sure it does happen. That said, I assume no responsibility morally, legally, ethically, or spiritually if you keep them and get busted. If you are worried about getting busted, then don't keep them.

Last edited:

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't worry, the chances of being caught are VERY slim. Thousands of people in the U.S. keep exotic mantids, and I've never even heard of a case where someone was caught, but of course that's not to say it can't happen. Order from other hobbyists, and the chances are virtually none. If you're responsible - do it. If you're not, don't ruin the hobby for others.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Other then the occasional online checks of forums like this by said authorities. easier to catch them at the watering hole they drink at!