Ill P.Irminia. Need help!

Chelsiukas

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I'd appreciate if anyone could help me. I noticed that an adult female P.Irminia is barely moving and wobbly. Just 5 minutes ago I put her into ICU, she didn't resist me moving her or fo anything. She looks very weak. I don't think that she's dehydrated, but I can spot some mites on her. Could the weakness be a consequence of mites? By the way, the Irminia was in an enclosure that was at 35 degrees Celsius(95F) at maximum day temperature. Could that also have influence on her current health? How can I help the poor creature? If anyone has some experience in such situation, please answer. :confused:

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I assume the heat combined with the mites is the problem. Keep her in ICU, make sure she has water to drink, change her substrate, clean out her normal enclosure with hot water, and look into removing the mites. I've never had mites so I can't speak from experience on how to remove them, but I've heard brushing them off with a soft paintbrush and baby powder can work.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depending on how large your collection I'd recommended destroying it to both stop the spread of mites (if its the only one) and the potential that this isn't just a matter of dehydration and is actually a disease.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Move her into ICU, clean out the enclosure, change substrate, wash the tank with dish detergent repeatedly 4-5 times and rinse, keep it relatively dry and the mites should not return. As far as the spider goes, make sure she is hydrated and then move her into tank/container thats dry with no substrate that should take care of the mites in a few days.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
You would be helped by determining what sorts of mites you have.

Are they sitting in lumps huddled together around soft spots or in joints or other hard to get to areas?

OR are only a very few aimlessly strolling over the T?

If it's the second then who knows what it is. Might even be that you have predatory mites, which would actually be a good thing for your T. But if they sit in lumps, then they are certainly bad. In that case pictures would be interesting.

come2imagine3

Arachnopeon
Use a q-tip and a tiny bit of vaseline and you can dab the mites off your t. Good luck.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depending on how large your collection I'd recommended destroying it to both stop the spread of mites (if its the only one) and the potential that this isn't just a matter of dehydration and is actually a disease.
Seriously? :wall:

OR... They can quarantine it and keep it in another room. Hope it pulls through.

Chelsiukas

Arachnopeon
After the night I can't spot any improvement. She's in ICU, the enclosure was completely cleaned. Should I keep her in the ICU until she starts moving and so on or only for some days? Thank you for all the help. And about the mites - as I can see from the outside, there aren't many of them but mainly they're sitting where the abdomen and carapace is joined. I'll try to remove those bastards today.

I went to take the mites of, the T was only able to slightly move its legs.. Once I removed the ones from the top and flipped the spider, I was in shock - there was a brown/dark yellow stain on the paper towels and I saw where it came from - there was a wound on the lower part of the abdomen. It wasn't there yesterday.. And now there were numerous mites around the mouth area and legs... I tried to remove as many as I can and I cleaned and put some vaseline on the wound. I gave her some water directly as she wasn't drinking from the bowl. It looks really bad. :(

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
After the night I can't spot any improvement. She's in ICU, the enclosure was completely cleaned. Should I keep her in the ICU until she starts moving and so on or only for some days? Thank you for all the help. And about the mites - as I can see from the outside, there aren't many of them but mainly they're sitting where the abdomen and carapace is joined. I'll try to remove those bastards today.

I went to take the mites of, the T was only able to slightly move its legs.. Once I removed the ones from the top and flipped the spider, I was in shock - there was a brown/dark yellow stain on the paper towels and I saw where it came from - there was a wound on the lower part of the abdomen. It wasn't there yesterday.. And now there were numerous mites around the mouth area and legs... I tried to remove as many as I can and I cleaned and put some vaseline on the wound. I gave her some water directly as she wasn't drinking from the bowl. It looks really bad. :(
While it certainly isn't good - - at least we can be fairly certain of the problem now, and you can take care of the mites. You're doing the right things, so now we just hope that you caught it in time. Fortunately Ts are pretty resilient - - keep getting rid of the mites, and keep her hydrated.

come2imagine3

Arachnopeon
You can use glycerin on the wounds as well. Use the vaseline to remove all of the mites. Dab them off with the vaseline on a q-tip you should be able to get them all off. Call me at 518-774-9827 if you can't wait for any replies off the board. Good luck.

Chelsiukas

Arachnopeon
Sad news guys... She passed away. I couldn't stop the bleeding/fluid loss and after several mite removal repetitions, I simply found her dead.. I guess I was too late to notice, start acting on the problem. So sad, she was a great specimen... Thank you for all the help and advice. :(

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Sad news guys... She passed away. I couldn't stop the bleeding/fluid loss and after several mite removal repetitions, I simply found her dead.. I guess I was too late to notice, start acting on the problem. So sad, she was a great specimen... Thank you for all the help and advice. :(
Sorry to hear that it ended this way.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry about your loss. Know how much that sucks. I lost a female P.irminia as well after a small earthquake on the 9th.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss.. :(

You did all the right things... sometimes it just can't be helped.