If You Only Had 5 Spiders

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, I know this has been done before, but I was just curious about it again. If you were to have only 5 spiders in the entire world, which ones would they be and why. Just as a side note, I recently had to sell my whole collection but 10 because of a lack of space and time to maintain them, and even with 10 it was a real hard decision. But definitly the first to go were the obligate burrowers such as the Cobalt Blue, which I never saw anyway (hehe), and then with the small ones because I can do less to decorate their enclosures because of the lack of space.

For me, it would be a Goliath Bird Eater (T. blondi)
- Simply stated, this is a real animal. It is huge, active, and eats a lot, and I love how it looks (which I describe as "intense")

P. rufilata (Redslate Ornamental)
- This is the largest ornamental in the world (which is a plus), but I like it more because it is the least obnoxious and most intricatly colored of the Pokies.

Purple Pinktoe (A. purpurea)
- This is my favorite Pinktoe, simply because it is interestingly purple (one of my favorite colors) and gets large compared to a lot of other Pinktoes). I think the spiderlings are real cute.

Chaco Golden Knee
- I and many others love this species, for obvious reasons. It is the largest docile spider I have dealt with, and I think it looks plain stunning!

True Red Leg (B. emilia)
- This is my favorite Brachypelma species. I admire their subtile beauty and I think that they are nicer looking then B. smithi.

If I had to add a "non-tarantula invert" to this list, it would have to be Hogna Carolinensis. Which is the Carolina Wolf Spider, the largest wolf spiders in North America. They have so much personality and are also "intense" looking. They are my favorite spider overall :).

Of course, this list could change as I get more experience, but right now, this is what I have to have to stay sane as a hobbyist.

Pauly

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Here's my five for ya:

1) Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair). I can't get over the adorable "fuzz" of this species. Not only that, they're so docile that they become cuddly :)

2) Grammostola pulchra (Brazillian black). Soft black velvet coloration mixed with a very docile attitude. Not to mention a very hardy spider, as well.

3) Theraphosia blondi (goliath birdeater). There's something about the size of these beasts that interests me. Not only that, I love the color of them. The attitude I can do without, but it's fun to watch ;)

4) Avicularia avicularia (common pinktoe). Something about their personality gets to me. Bubbly, quick, and rather inquisitive. Again, the black fuzziness gets me, too.

5) Heteroscordra maculata (togo starburst). Absolute beauty, in my mind. This is honestly the most beautiful spider I've ever seen.

-Bryan

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey Bryan:

I want to get a bearded dragon at some point, so I'll look out for you! Very nice list. I certainly think that the Togo Starburst is an interesting looking spider, and unique in it's class. I would of put Avicularia avicularia as a 6th choice, because as you said, there is just something about it!!

Pauly

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If i had to pick 5, regardless of my nervousness with large agressive spiders: ( ive only got 2 right now =))

A. Geniculata- sort of rare, good eaters, look good, active.

B.Smithi- Gentle good lookin species, classic tarantula

T.Blondi- It is a beast

L. Parahybana ( i think thats how u spell it) - huge, good eaters and look good.

Chaco golden knee - big and docile while looking great

Mark

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Avicularia avicularia
2. Heteroscodra Masculata
3. Therphosa blondi
4. Ceratogyrus sanderi
5. Grammastola Rosea

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Only 5? That's really hard, but I'd have to go with:

1: Grammastola pulchra - Very adorable and ohh so gentle. I spend a lot of time with mine, and she is so sweet.
2: Brachypelma emilia - In my opinion, the best looking of all the Brachypelma species.
3: Acanthoscurria geniculata - Most striking colors and best appetite. My male is very gentle, not aggressive at all.
4: Aphonopelma seemani - The black/cream combination vice the brown/cream variation.
5: Pterinochilus chodatus - I've grown really partial to my chocolate baboon. She builds a bowl shaped web and is always out in the open. Pure attitude and an eating machine.

I hate to leave Grammastola rosea off this list, as my first and sweetest tarantula is a Chilean Rose, I'd have to cheat and keep her at work so no one would know I had more than 5.

Ralph

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
paul....i would have to agree with you on the wolf spider thing......those things creep me out!!! i would much rather find my rosehair loose in the house than a friggin wolf spider.....but somehow we seem to keep getting wolf spiders in the house and it seems they always seem to find me!!!!...a couple of weeks ago i went in the bathroom to take care of business and was greeted by a big one of those buggers and it kept "jumping" at me.......i just moved here a couple of months ago from huntsville, Al and i saw some of the carolina wolf spiders there..but down here in south alabama i see mostly a lighter brown version that doesnt get quite as big from what ive seen....but i am frightened and i am fascinated by them at the same time.....
as far as true spiders go i think the Argiope Aurantia is a big pretty spider and kinda scary when you accidentally run across one out hiking!!!!.....here is a link to a pic taken of one in my buddy's back yard...
bigone

Last edited:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, only five.....

1. Ceratogyrus brachycephalus
2. Lasiodora parahybana
3. Ephebopus rufescens
4. Pterinocholus murinus
5. Brachypelma emilia

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. Avicularia versicolor - love the coloration and the beautiful tube webs

2. Lasiodora parahybana - Eating machine & very fast growing

3. Poecilotheria ornata - big, fast, beautiful coloration

4. Pterinochilus sp. Usumbara - beautiful webs, character

5. Poecilotheria metallica - since you said 'any spider' I put this on the list, pokey with coloration of versicolor sling: sweet! Too bad there aren't any in the hobby.

Joost

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
l. parahybana
l. cristata
b. boehmei
a. geniculata
p. usumbara

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not quite sure. I do know, however, that if limited to five spiders, I would only have one or two species. I like having multiples of everything for breeding purposes, so rather than have five species, I'd like to have five of one species.

Currently, if I had to whittle down my collection, I'd stick with my Usumbaras -- or maybe my B.vagans. As for other species, I don't really know, as I have tried to avoid becoming overly interested in species I don't have so that I don't have to get any.

Cheers,
Dave

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would have

L. parahybana - huge, active, interesting , and not too aggressive

C. cyanopubescens - color ! interesting webbyness , kinda docile

P. rufilata - nice looking , arboreal! more advanced sp.

P. usambara - NA$ty!! great looking, webby

G. aeriostriata - big, so docile , nice looking , and handleable !