Idiops female came out!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I saw this beautiful girl out tonight. This is the first time that I can remember of her being out on her own all the way.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
she's nice looking! i like the two tone legs :)

i have a local species that is very roughly similar looking in the leg coloration, but not as neat in all the other places

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks! Yea shes one of my favorite pet holes. She just gets prettier with every molt. She was way smaller when I got her, now she is a pretty good size.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
What a looker! The rear of the carapace reminds me vaguely of a tortoise beetle.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big is she?

Great pics. :)
Thanks! Im not sure. She is never out so I never get a measurement of her, and Im terrible at judging measurements. But I would say 2.5", maybe more. But like I said, Im terrible at judging measurements.

Beetleinabottle

Arachnopeon
Is it possible that yours is the same species as mine? Because mine was sold to me as a black african trapdoor. I'm new to the arachnid community and your pictures are the closest I've found of her!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I can't key this spider to genus or species but I can tell you it is not an Idiops species. The family Idiopidae can be characterized by having the anterior lateral eyes set far in front from the rest giving it a distinctive eye pattern. The spiders pictured here obviously have all eight grouped together.

There are no characters visible in these pictures that I can see that will give an accurate ID.

But it does look like all spiders pictured are the same species.

Edit: My best guess is that this is a Nemesiidae species, but take that maybe way off.

Last edited: