1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Idiopidae sp. ID?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Wesley Barnum, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Wesley Barnum

Wesley Barnum Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    this was sold to me as a Thyropoeus mirandus, and it's clearly not one. I bought it from 03arachnids. apparently this is common from what I understand, I know I'm not the only one this has happen too. my friend who knows about trapdoors says it could be Idiopidae. if anybody has any idea please tell me. she's about 2.5" pushing 3" not at all to defensive, but did bite my paint brush a few.
    IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3987.JPG

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    It’s from Madagascar?

3. Wesley Barnum

I don’t know. I’d would assume so, because that’s the only way I could think of these two species getting mixed up. Because apparently my situation isn’t the only one. There’s a guy on Instagram with the same species I got when he ordered a T. Mirandus

4. NYAN

CA
    I think someone said these are Genysa sp.

Why don’t you believe the ID?

5. Wesley Barnum

because T. mirandus eyes are different. they're more spread out than a typical mygale. here's a pic of a close cousin to it. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wesley Barnum

I can't really find much to confirm it. wikipedia only gives two genus names: G. bicalcarata and G. decorsei. and no images to reference check.

7. NYAN

CA
    You likely won’t find photos very easy. Try WSC. Sometimes there’s illustrations.

Anyway, I know one of the importers of the Madagascar inverts. I’ll ask them what they know about an ID next time I talk to them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wesley Barnum

thanks man! I appreciate it. and I'll look into it and see what I can find.

9. Wesley Barnum

I also sent out an email to 03arachnids to at least make them aware that they've sold the wrong species. they sold out of them too! so that's gonna be fun for them.:troll: I don't know if anyone would refund it or not. personally I'm not. I think it's cool that I got a rare trapdoor species that no one really understands what it is. and idk if they did have some and some that weren't. if anyone did get an actual Thyropoeus, let me know.

10. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

The desired species has alot in common with Migidae in terms of appearance. Here's a few photos of my Idiopids if you would like to compare.
    Giant Cataxia sp. Black
    20191009_064545.jpg

Euoplos Variabilis
    20190828_134043.jpg

These 2 in my personal opinion, appear quite similar in build to the specimen you're showing us

• Love Love x 1
  11. Wesley Barnum

Indeed they do! Especially the euoplos. I feel it’s safe to assume that it is a idiopid, and it is confirmed by Austin they came from Madagascar. The important he bought them from frank somma. I tried to get in touch with him to get his word on this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.