Identity by description

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Howdy howdy. I don't have a digicam so I can't help with a picture, but I was wandering if some of you could throw out a few guesses to the description I am about to give out in order for me to look at pics on the web and try to match an identity. I found a small (about an inch to an inch and a half), pitch black spidey walking around outside of our church last night. It looks like a miniature tarantula (everyone thought it was but I begged to differ). The pedipalps are quite large as opposed to a tarantula. They are like long pistons almost. He was very docile just out and about, it was easy to let him walk onto my hand and take him up (like an abduction...lol). Though when I put him into a container so I could measure him and all he was very very strikey. Man this thing is worse than my Ts. He won't just sit and strike...he looks like a little ninja. Decked out in all black he hops around striking, pounding his front legs around like a double hammer chop. Heeya! lol. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or sites I may find pictures to browse through. I know its of tarantula relation, but its not a tarantula because of the large pedipalps and lack of hair. I don't want to keep it here long because I don't agree with keeping wild-caught animals of any kind. Its just not right. But I am very interested in the little bugger, and might try to find a breeder who sells them captive bred. Thanks a mil.

Marcus

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It almost sounds like some type of trap door spider. I know there is a black varietyu, but I don't know the scientific name.
Maybe yours was out after his burrow was destroyed. Perhaps looking for another spot to dig one,
or perhaps he was out looking for love!
It would be great to see a pic!

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree, the first thing I thought of was a trapdoor spidey. I know there was a pic of one posted here a while back, but I was trying to find it last night and went through 21 pages of posts..lol. Maybe I just missed it. Do you think I should keep it long? I'm not sure of my opinion on keeping captives. In one theory its not right to me, but in another one...where it came from it was lucky that everyone knew I was a spider lover and called me over or it would have been dead. It seems REALLY afraid where it is right now. When I open the lid it will strike a few times upward and then cuddle down in the little tarantula fetile positoin. It breaks my heart! I know they don't move around a whole lot, so I know the space factor wouldn't be that bad...but I'll probably end up letting it go. I'm hoping I can get someone to loan me a digital cam. :( But I don't know where to let it go out of harms way cause Waco is all city. What's your opinion?

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could feel free to ship it to about any one of us here on the boards... :D We'll give it a god home...

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL. That's okay, if it stay in captivity, it stays in my room...lol. Man, I'm more and more leaning away from trapdoor spider. I wish I could take a pic right now. It looks just like a miniature tarantula, same size ratio. Picture a haplopelma minax with no hair and large pedipalps, but only 1" in size and that is exactly what I have.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I notice you are in Texas. Is it possible that it is a species of Aphonopelma? Possibly an immature.
I'm not sure if there are tarantulas where you are, but if so, that is what I would lean towards.
As for keeping it, I have some wild spiders, but only because its winter and I can't release them outdoors.
If you are able to borrow digicam, I's love to see pics.
By the way, can you tell the orientation of the fangs? Are they downward pointing (like a tarantula) or do they point inward (like other spiders). Just as a note, trap door spiders have dowward pointing fangs like a tarantula.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wandering about that, too. But with the lack of hair, I know even spiderlings have a small amount of hair...this spidey has none. Plus, he's way to vicious. I haven't been able to look at his fangs, but I will tomorrow when he strikes at me. lol. Once I get near the little Pet Pal he goes ballistic. Do you know of any sites that have pics of trapdoor spiders?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Euagrus

It is also very possible you could have a small species of funnel-web mygalomorph as those of the genus Euagrus can be quite common in Texas and are around .5" to .6" and are dark brown to black in color.

Alex S.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
What you described reminds me of a spider I found awhile back, but released. Looked like a hairless tarantula. On its rump, is it more or less dappled, like a roan horse? Atrax found such a spider..I forgot his post..(he had pics of it)

Peace,
Gillian

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, thanks so much for the help. With the suggestions provided I was able to research and am quite positive that I have a funnel spidey. After he made his little burrow and web I was sure of it and then after the research I was positive. I was gonna let him go, but he seems content in his new little domain so I guess I'll keep him. He's really interesting so far...VERY agile and agressive when provoked. (by provoked I mean if you look in his cage...lol). Again, thank you so much for your helpfullness and kindness. Special thanks to rnkralph, the site you provided helped the most.