identification please

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
Good book, a clockwork orange. the movie was terrible though. Now why use allometries? also, if you use cytochrome C why not go with some other highly conserved gene. In bacteria we use 16s RNA sequences. So why not try something else, GAPDH, or beta actin? You should stop sitting on your results. BTW, where does a myrapodologist publish?
Well, highly conserved genes (18s/16s/28s...) don t have the sufficient resolution for such work, as they are... too conserved! Of course, there would be solutions, it is just a question of time: time to blast some sequences, time to design and try some primers, time to run proper PCRs, time to find the correct analysis model... unfortunately, I have enough to do with my "regular" project!
If you do a search on zootaxa, you will notice that only a handful of people seem to publish about Chilopods. Taxonomical publications have usually a very low impact factor and therefore are not the priority of a lot of researchers. Many myriapodologists (Minelli, Bonato, Giribet, Edgecombe, etc...) are now working on bigger questions: position of myriapoda among arthropoda, segmentation, morphogenesis, gene regulation...

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, highly conserved genes (18s/16s/28s...) don t have the sufficient resolution for such work, as they are... too conserved! Of course, there would be solutions, it is just a question of time: time to blast some sequences, time to design and try some primers, time to run proper PCRs, time to find the correct analysis model... unfortunately, I have enough to do with my "regular" project!
If you do a search on zootaxa, you will notice that only a handful of people seem to publish about Chilopods. Taxonomical publications have usually a very low impact factor and therefore are not the priority of a lot of researchers. Many myriapodologists (Minelli, Bonato, Giribet, Edgecombe, etc...) are now working on bigger questions: position of myriapoda among arthropoda, segmentation, morphogenesis, gene regulation...
hmmm...good points all. Well hopefully the cure for cancer lies somewhere nestled in the venom of some scolopendra species so that it may become financially worth while to do some work their taxonomy. Not that it's not important by any means, but I feel like everyone and their mother is working on gene regulation these days. I'm looking at grad schools and it's 90% of every school's biochemistry faculty.