Identification help?

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I believe this is a Male Catface Orbweaver. I’m familiar with the females (have one in my window), but wondering if thats what ive found? Its been a good eater while i’ve been holding onto it. Catching prey both by pouncing on it once (small space) and from me putting crickets in its web, (bigger container i moved it to). Either way, I love the look of this guy, all black and white! if he stops eating or has trouble making a better web then I’ll probably just let him go, but I’d love to help him make it to spring if i can.

New member here, btw. 👋

Attachments

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
welcome!
hes definitely going to need a bigger enclosure than photographed (i assume you moved him since you said something like that)

it does seem to be a male orb weaver, maybe a cat-faced but i need to see the back, not the face for that :)

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I've got him in a clear container about the size of a shoebox now, he's actually put up some web in the sticks in there and eats from it if I can manage to get a cricket or fly lodged in the small amount of web there is. Hoping for a more legit webbing attempt from him but I recognize that he might need a lot more space. Do the males build webs similar in size to the females?

I'm mad jealous of the female catface my mom has had all summer in her window; It webs perfectly and is active every day. Though, I think this black and white one looks cooler. Ill post more pics shortly.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
I've got him in a clear container about the size of a shoebox now, he's actually put up some web in the sticks in there and eats from it if I can manage to get a cricket or fly lodged in the small amount of web there is. Hoping for a more legit webbing attempt from him but I recognize that he might need a lot more space. Do the males build webs similar in size to the females?

I'm mad jealous of the female catface my mom has had all summer in her window; It webs perfectly and is active every day. Though, I think this black and white one looks cooler. Ill post more pics shortly.
honestly since their main job at adulthood is to find females, i dont really know about their maximum web space. but personally i would presume in captivity they would make at least a fairly similar one.

I believe your boy is actually Araneus saevus, and its always possible your ladies are too :) but i admit its a bit harder for me with scrawny abdomened males. the legs and pedipalps seem to match more, though.