ideas about mycosis

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I f you have a mycotic scorpion die in a enclosure do you feel you should throw away all substrate, rocks,hides,etc. or do you feel that baking or another method of removing any ?????????

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
no, because I still maintain an opposing belief about mycosis to yours and until a document is published stating that you are correct then I will continue to maintain my stance unwavered.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is ok we all have are own ideas,,,,,,,thats why I posted this,,,,,, I really just wanna know who other people feel about this matter ,,,,,,,,,,,,Trust me I wanna be wrong with this one,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
no, because I still maintain an opposing belief about mycosis to yours and until a document is published stating that you are correct then I will continue to maintain my stance unwavered.
what exactly is your standpoint?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what exactly is your standpoint?
that it's not contagious. I haven't done enough to say it's "scientific research" and document it formally but in my experience...I have never encountered, witnessed or heard of such a problem - even with a recent colony of C. vittatus

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm with Ras on this one. I havent seen it spread to other scorps.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm with Ras on this one. I havent seen it spread to other scorps.
thanks. I'm very adamant about this and nobody has been able to prove otherwise but I've been able to maintain infected species along side clean species without any spread

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought a male emp 2 years ago and he had mycosis. I put him in a viv @ 50% humidity. The mycosis never spread. He has since moved into a communal viv, impregnated 3 females and all 3 have had healthy scorplings. The Male still appears healthy, and no other scorp shows any signs of mycosis. Not scientific, just my experience. Having said that, if there was ANY chance of mycosis cross contamination, I would like know about it 'cos I won't be taking chances.

Damo

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like I said guys I wanna be wrong,,,,,,There are species that are prone to it.........(ie) Hadrurus , Babycurus , I dunno I just want to hear more views thats whats great about this forum,,,,,,,,,,really, Im not poking at you Ras, Keep them coming guys........................:D

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know you don't mean to bring me into debate but I still think that you've been misinformed.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok but thinking like mycosis as a fungal infection, simaliar to say athletes foot or jungle rot, If you have fungus or spores they could be passed on easily,,you could get athletes foot from a gym floor or shower............

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
in that case, would you not get mycosis from your scorpion as humans are moreso suceptible to fungal infection?

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess to answer the question ...........I have seen stranger things happen........sound a little far fetched I guess but I am not really chillin in my scorpions enclosures ....................:D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd change the sub if it were old and broken down and not just because an animal that was previously in there had mycosis. But there might be something about the sub that the fungus likes, maybe a lot of organic stuff being broken down, so I'd change it then. My guess is that fungal spores that can cause mycosis are everywhere in a home. It wouldn't surprise me if every emperor in the US has mycosis causing fungal spores on it. After finally reading a little about it, I found out that most external fungal infections can be referred to as a mycosis. Foot fungus is a mycosis. You can clean your cage, bake the sub, have air cleaners but I don't think it would prevent it since spores are floating around everywhere. Sterilizing could make it worse since you might kill bacteria that help keep it in check. I think it's conditions that allow the fungus to grow and start doing damage. It's kind of like mold in houses, the mold spores are there but it's the humidity and temp that determine if your going to get a bad outbreak or not. Probably the health of the scorpion and age have something to do with it how bad it's going to get it too. So if you put a scorp in cage that previously had a scorp in it that had mycosis and then that scorp gets mycosis, I wouldn't say that it got mycosis because the other one had it since getting rid of the spores floating around a house is practically impossible. Maybe some spores from the infected scorp got on the more recent one but if it gets mycosis, it would have gotten it anyway since the spores are floating around everywhere and because of the conditions in the cage. I said all that like I know what's going on but that was only a bunch of guessing on my part, I don't know many facts about it other than it's a fungus,so only my "ideas" like the thread asked. So don't read it as fact, only speculation. We need a fungus person here. Also if an adult scorpion gets mycosis and the area turns black from damage, it's likely to stay black even though the fungus has stopped growing or has died.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sterilizing could make it worse since you might kill bacteria that help keep it in check.
eu contraire, I've been a piercer for something like 6yrs and "sterilization" ... proper sterilization kills all spores and bacteria. 150-170 degrees at 15kpa kills all pathogens in 5-15 mins depending on packaging. this applied to the home where an autoclave is not readily available could just as easily be done in the oven at 350 for 30-45mins or in a pressure cooker at the same settings for an autoclave.

great post though. you did help affirm my stance about mycosis and added some more info that I found useful to retain.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That was a great post ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I think that it really didnt strengthen either of our points,,,,,,,,,Thanks for the ideas ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Please keep them coming Is there no one out there that has tried putting a scorpion in a tank after a infected one had died in there?:wall:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sure it does but my thinking is that bacteria and fungus spores float right back in since there are >billions, trillions are floating around the house. So my thinking was, as far as bacteria and fungus goes, keeping the cage clean of leftovers will be as effective. Sterilizing like for piercings is always a temp thing as you know so you have to keep sterilizing the jewelry and tools over and over again. I really wasn't trying to strengthen anybodies point. It's a fungus that is practically everywhere (speculating) so I think it's the conditions that get it going. Now I don't know if any of that is fact but if it is, I don't think the points in this thread matter much, other than discussion. Kind of an interesting thread, I think I'll keep an eye on it and see if fungus peeps chime in. My thinking is that if you put another scorp in the tank that had one in there previously that died, it will get it too if it's dirty in there with leftovers, high humidity, too wet... But my thinking is that it will happen anyway even if there was previously no other scorp in there. Haha! sounds like I'm going around in circles ..it's because I don't know. We need a fungus person.