Ideal Singapore Blue and Chaco Golden Knee housing?

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
(L. violaceopes and G. pulchripes)

I currently have my 5"-6" Blue specimen in a 5 gallon cage (photo attached) with a piece of wood she has made a semi burrow under and the other day I added some fake plants just to make her feel a little more secure as well as a water dish (plastic jar top which somehow always empties). I only see her out during the night most times and to be honest I am always afraid when I check and she's just hanging out in her burrow. As for the Golden, I have her in a medium critter keeper with a small bottle cap as a water dish, however she tends to web into her sub (coco fiber) and make sure it stays not even (pics included). Is there a better way to keep her? Thanks!

Matt

(Pics also include Centipede enclosures if anyone wants to critique those...Small plastic boxes with coco fiber and water dishes, one with a piece of wood to hide under, as well as my red knee's enclosure...Small critter keeper with water bottle top and plastic tube as a burrow)

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is that plastic i see wrapped around that piece of wood in the L.v. enclosure?

First change substrate... use peat... less mites.....
Second change substrate... then take off that plastic wrap.... if water gets in between.. it will be the cause, if you want mold to start...
Third put the tank up vertically... put a longer piece of wood( no plastic wrapping)... have it on an angle... add about 2 inch of peat...... add decoration then your good...

For your G. pulchripes....
Just change the substrate......

that's all i can suggest.... good luck with your T's....

Peace!!!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my G. pulchripes in a 5g with a peek a view burrow and filled about 75% of the way up with coconut fiber. I also have a water dish and a fake plant. I can't even tell what substrate you are using in your Ts setups. What is it? I thought it might be coconut fiber, but I'm unsure. Anyway, I would also recommend a substrate change for all your spiders.

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah it is wrapped in plastic...To prevent mold because I had a problem with another piece in another enclosure. And the substrate in those tanks are (if I remember correctly) something like 75% cocofiber 25% organic potting soil. I've never had problem with mites, would you really suggest the switch? And for the Chaco, she seems to just web the hell out of the sub. Not sure why, but she does and then she packs it toward the middle (the sub in her tank was allowed to dry before being put in however).

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Take of the plastic off.... increase ventilation and try to avoid watering the wood...
spray on the opposite side of your enclosure.....

25/75 that's OK.... L.v. likes it a bit moist, not damp....

G. pulchripes...... you should be fine... they like it more on the dry side....

All the best with you and you T's

Peace!!!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Put some leafs and more hides in the scolopendra tank.

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Take of the plastic off.... increase ventilation and try to avoid watering the wood...
spray on the opposite side of your enclosure.....

25/75 that's OK.... L.v. likes it a bit moist, not damp....

G. pulchripes...... you should be fine... they like it more on the dry side....

All the best with you and you T's

Peace!!!
The plastic was actually only added the day the picture was taken to increase humidity. I'll fix that. And I'll add some of the leaves to the Pede's cage as well.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
If You have the means to make an enclosure thats set up for aboreals. Go buy some 50X plexi glass. Stand your tank up on end and put about 4" of plexi on the bottom side with silocone. Let it dry for a day. Then just fill it in with some substrate. You can use the existing screen and tape it on. Or you could get enough plext to do the whole cage and put vents, hinges, or drill holes. Up to you. Your cage will be much more appealing and you can have fun building it!! :D

BTW.. What kind of wood are you using in the 7th pic?

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good idea, if I can find a place to get some plexi I'm definitely interested. Is there a guide anywhere on here? And it's wood from my yard, baked at 400 for two hours so it's bone dry and (for the past five months) mold proof.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I think robc has a video for those.
EDIT: heres the video http://www.youtube.com/user/tarantulaguy1976#p/search/5/ZQW2FOQayoc

You could even silicone the hinges on if you dont have access to tools. Personally i love to go all out and do a pro style job. You could get vents from here cheapest bulk
http://mflouverv2.stelliollc.com/contact/contact_thankyou.html

smallest bulk Tarantulacages.com here http://tarantulacages.com/arboreal.html

If you have questions on how to do any of this feel free to ask. Scoring/Breaking plexi is a bit tricky if you have never done it.

Last edited: