Idea...if you are a breeder read this...

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well yes phillip, this would be very difficult to do, which is also why I am not doing it...at least not now...

But I just wonder...

All dogs came from wolves right...and through domestication, they "made/bred" more docile dogs if you will. Now don't get me started on German shepperds and chiaua(sp?) all coming from a wolf...thats not what I am talking about.

And NO I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT HYBRIDS!!!!!!! I am against the idea myself...

What I guess would be the first test is if you breed a docile male aggressive species with a docile female aggressive of the same species...would the fact that both are docile (for whatever reason) be based on to the slings?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think the whole idea of breeding is to eventually domesticate and take a species that people want to have/interact with and make it more desirable. look at dogs. sheesh.

as long as you don't inbreed them i think it's a fine idea. (shrug) why not? this is largely what happens with most breeders, even reptile breeders. i think breeding for temperament is actually a better idea than just breeding for better appearance.

just make sure you get quite a few pairs of nice males & females so you won't have the inbreeding problem and it should go along smoothly. of course, some species will naturally take a bit longer to find than others. lol. ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
i think the whole idea of breeding is to eventually domesticate and take a species that people want to have/interact with and make it more desirable. look at dogs. sheesh.

as long as you don't inbreed them i think it's a fine idea. (shrug) why not? this is largely what happens with most breeders, even reptile breeders. i think breeding for temperament is actually a better idea than just breeding for better appearance.

just make sure you get quite a few pairs of nice males & females so you won't have the inbreeding problem and it should go along smoothly. of course, some species will naturally take a bit longer to find than others. lol. ;)
For you maybe, for me breeding a animal is proof they thriwe in my cages and reproduce. Some herps and perhaps some ts get somewhat "calm" in captivity because they get used to that large human that disturb them frequently. That doesnt mean the offspring will be. So domesticate by just breed them is not possible.

I like to keep my herps/arachnids as close to natural behavoiur as possible in captivity, a aggressive snake or a small aggro Pterinochilus are fascinating. That alone is enough for me to not like the idea at all. After all, they arent kittens or dogs.

I aggree that breeding only for external purpose is not good - look at dogs. The main part of dog races is freaks that should be put to sleep.
Breed healthy animals and get healthy offspring. Thats the most important to me anyway.

/Lelle

Last edited:

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
For you maybe, ...Breed healthy animals and get healthy offspring. Thats the most important to me anyway.

/Lelle

Valid argument.