ID this guy...

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like what my grandparents called an 'asp'. I have no idea what they are, I was always told not to touch them when I was little, and never did.
Supposedly they can sting, or maybe their hairs are irritants. I have no idea what they actually are, but I've seen their pupa stuck to brick houses before. Whatever it is, this is the larval stage. Probably some kind of moth.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL, So is their really any seriousness on this specimen or has no one found out?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I did! Thanks interweb. It's called a puss caterpillar. Here's some info I found:

"The puss caterpillar, or woolly slug, is the most poisonous caterpillar in the United States. Its poison is hidden in hollow spines among its hairs. This hairy caterpillar is found in the southern states, ranging west through most of Texas and north to Maryland and Missouri. It feeds on shade trees such as elm, oak, and sycamore. Puss caterpillars vary in size from 1.2 in.(32 mm) to 1.4 in.(36 mm)." from http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tm6502.asp

Good thing you never touched it! Yikes! Here's a video:

[YOUTUBE]OeNggIGSKH8[/YOUTUBE]

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does turn into a wookie moth!

The puss caterpillar pics I found didn't quite look like the one in the video though. Maybe just a similar species.

Hank

Arachnopeon
Reply to Harrypei

Your bug lools like a Hag Moth also known as a monkey slug, of the limacodidae Family. They do have urticating stinging hairs! Hope this Helps.

H.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think this is a monkey slug. Looks a bit different. Still rather cute:

[YOUTUBE]CWPHqZY2Mtc&NR[/YOUTUBE]

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is called an asp and their life cycle stays in the larval stage which you see in the video. Their hair is extremely painful when touched and cause burning, pussy blisters on the skin. Sucks really bad. I'd seen this video way back and already had it identified {D

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They turn into a moth eventually. Here's a some more info about them:

Megalopyge opercularis

Must be one of nature's cruel jokes. Make a cute fuzzy thing that's poisonous. Just like the cute little velvet ant.

People are scared of all the ugly harmless bugs but it's the cute ones that will get ya! ;P

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think this is a monkey slug. Looks a bit different. Still rather cute:

[YOUTUBE]CWPHqZY2Mtc&NR[/YOUTUBE]
That video reminds myself of comming home after a hard friday night. Very interesting all!