ID these mystery boyz...

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mystery boy #1... found in my room wandering round. Single palp!? Whatever he his...I wish I had a cute girl for him...

Mystery boy #2... found in yard while moving cement chunks around. Thing can move...and jump! Crazy looking... probably not uncommon, yet I dont think Ive ever run into this before...

Spider experts ..any ideas?

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first one is a male Latrodectus hesperus, aka the western black widow.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first one is a male Latrodectus hesperus, aka the western black widow.
When I found and cupped him thats what I was thinkin', but he is a strange one. Single palp is probably an injury. Markings are a bit strange, but almost. Leg bands are a bit strange compared to all my other hesp boyz and its color and shape...a bit off too.
I have about 30 hesp males here... all kinds of variants. I keep pulling this one out to compare with the others and each time he almost changes my mind regarding ID. Funny how these things can 'get ya' sometimes! :D

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe give him to an unmated female and find out?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah, the markings/colors on #1 do look a little funny for a hesperus male... but you're not far off cause it does look similar in a lot of ways.

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
what makes you all believe that the first one is a L. hesperus male? Could be a male of any other Theridiidae...
A picture of the eyes could clarify if this is a Latrodectus sp. or not (I don´t think so).

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eye shot...

Looks like a Latro to me. ?? Just a strange boy.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I put Onederball in with a frisky fem hesp. He started what I thought looked like the good o latro dance ...he even wandered right up to her and started moving in (at least thats what it looked like). Anyway... big mistake..he hit on her WAY too early and she grabbed and bit him then wrapped the fool up tight. That was the most unsuccessful 45 sec mating Ive ever orchestrated. :clap: {D
Damn, I just named him too and was marking her cup with whos in their with her when she tagged him. Well "Onederball" has been freed up for the next one palp wonder I find. :rolleyes: :D

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know this guy wasn't one of these, but I was reading about Tidarren sisyphoides (and others in the genus) and their interesting habit of amputating one of their palpi before the last molt.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know this guy wasn't one of these, but I was reading about Tidarren sisyphoides (and others in the genus) and their interesting habit of amputating one of their palpi before the last molt.
Ok..interesting. Maybe thats the one I was thinkin about. Though, I thought it was some other Theridiidae specie ...maybe there is more than one with only one. :?
Those are cool. Wonder how common they are?

Neshan was over today and we were discussing what i should do if/when I cant take care of all my spiders ...'cause of travel, work, whatnot. He thinks I should bug proof my studio and let em all out. I'd need to add a lot of structure ...roots, rocks, plants and other stuff around the room. I'd also want to add as many species to my collection as I could before the grand release ...make it that much more interesting.
I think its a good idea. :?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sounds great, after you send off a few choice things of course!;)

Just be sure to turn your lobsters loose too. Maybe you could set up an automatic feeder and waterer for the roaches and then the spiders would always have food. Only the best trappers would make it though. Those lobsters are crafty!