ID snakes please.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Both snakes are around 10"
Heres some pics.
Snake #1

I don't know whats wrong with pic number 3, but oh well.

Snake #2

Thank you!

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
First one looks like a Ringneck of some sort.

The second, I've no clue, the pictures aren't very good quality to really tell any definable features. Only guess I have is an Earth Snake.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes the first one is def a ringneck i found a few last summer pretty cool little species

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree with the others on the first snake. does it emit a foul smell when picked up and/or startled? the second one appears to be some sort of garter snake.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well this snake didnt, but I believe it could if it wanted to.

I don't think its a garter, I've seen garters and this isn't a garter.

i agree with the others on the first snake. does it emit a foul smell when picked up and/or startled? the second one appears to be some sort of garter snake.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for your help guys! I've been searching on google and yahoo but can't really find any caresheets for either, anyone know how to care for these?

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you can, take another picture of the tail (paying close attention to the tip of the tail). Contia tenuis are easy confused with juvenile garter snakes, but can be distinguished by their black and white banding, and their sharply pointed scale at the tip of the tail (hence the common name, sharp-tailed snake).

As for feeding Contia tenuis, good luck. Contia tenuis favorite food are slugs, but because of the possible parastic load, I would strongly advice against feeding them. You might be able to get one switched over to day-old pinks using a scenting.

Taku

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was going to release them yesterday, but on the way there the road to the location was blocked off because of a bike race. So I'll be going back saturday and release them then.

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
first one is a ringneck snake and the second one is a Sharptail Snake (Contia tenuis). I would offer the ringneck snake a small lizard and the tank will need to look as natural as possible.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
first one is a ringneck snake and the second one is a Sharptail Snake (Contia tenuis). I would offer the ringneck snake a small lizard and the tank will need to look as natural as possible.
ringnecks are most definately not rare in TN. turn over any given rock in the summer time and you are sure to find one or two. and i agree...feed it lizards. the ones native to TN are deep brumators. in the summer raise the heat and humidity significantly. feed them lizards then try to wean them to lizard scented pinkys. they are easy snakes to keep.