ID please

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found this little gal in the middle of a dirt road while on a walk. I think its a purse web or funnel web type but what kind? I live in North Idaho, she is dark grey/black and about 3/4"

What is a good way to keep her? right now she is in a small kk with damp peat and a pile of latge orchid bark to hide in and a small water dish. She alread took a cricket.

Another thing I though was strange, she played dead! curled right up and stopped moving until I left her alone for a bit. Very cool little spider.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow:eek: way cool,yeah you got her setup right,hmm don't know the exact sp. though:wall:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool spider! probably a Sphodros sp. (purseweb). Are you sure it's a girl? I only ask because it is very rare to see females of any fossorial spider to be "out and about."

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I believe this is a trapdoor. The chelae don't look large enough to me to be a purse web.

You're right about it being strange to be out in the open. Perhaps it got displaced somehow, and went searching for a new location?

To me it looks to be either a juvenile, or a female, as I would think mature males would be more gangly. Can't see the palps, though...

I would set it up with 5"+ of moist coco fiber, or one of the mixes people have posted here for trapdoors and make a good starter hole for her; one big enough for her to fit into.

Last edited:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure on the sex but it looks like a female to me, no boxing gloves on the peds. but it could be a immature male.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think its a trap door, the chelae are larger then they appear in the pics.
I rehomed her into a gallon jar with lots of peat so she can burrow to her hearts content. I should have gotten more pics since I will probably never see her again LOL.

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I should have gotten more pics since I will probably never see her again LOL.
Haha, who knows... But to me this lil' spidey looks like a trapdoor too. Good luck with him/her anyway. :)
Matthew.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, after some more research I'm leaning toward trapdoor too. I just sent to pics to a entomologist at the U of Idaho, maybe he can give me a species ID at least.
I suppose in time though, I will be able to tell depending on the type of home she builds.

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I suppose in time though, I will be able to tell depending on the type of home she builds.
Yup, that'll be for sure a good hint. And when You'll know the species or something about the spider, don't hesitate to share the info with us. ;-)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The anterodorsal tergite tells you it is a Atypidae, the location tells you it is genus Sphodros. Ctenizidae 'trapdor spiders' don't have the any tergites.

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah... Yeah, after googling some Sphodros spp. pics it really looks like one of those. Well, all these trapdoor-looking spiders look the same to me. Unfortunately I'm not very into them. Maybe someday... :)
Greets, Matthew.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It also looks similiar to a Hexura sp. which are also in this area, they are a type of sheet or funnel web. What ever she may be it will be neat to watch her.