Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
anyone know what these are?
found in east central Texas in rotten hickory stump

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the 1st one, is a meat borer, it will bore a hole to human meat and will pupate there, the black pointed thing is the mouth.

the 2nd is a brain eater, it will enter the ears, eat the cartilages and will go to the skull, the mothparts are used to eat thru hard cartilages on the ears.

I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT IT, THE 1ST ONE LOOKS LIKE A MAGGOT, MAYBE A FLY LARVAE, THE 2ND IS A BEETLE LARVAE

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know what they are!

in one of my threads i meantioned aliens perhaps this is one of the ways they infiltrate the earth through this stage and then pupate to a larger being so they can get my T's to send back to the home world. you know me ole' crazy doc...{D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
in one of my threads i meantioned aliens perhaps this is one of the ways they infiltrate the earth through this stage and then pupate to a larger being so they can get my T's to send back to the home world. you know me ole' crazy doc...{D
but please let it not be QUAGMIRE!:wall: {D

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the 2nd is a brain eater, it will enter the ears, eat the cartilages and will go to the skull, the mothparts are used to eat thru hard cartilages on the ears.

Reminds me of an X Files episode where they used a live mealworm as the "brain living" bug that lives in the Arctic.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol i guess if they pupate and survive i can post pix of the resultant bug lol

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first one is probably a larvae of a long legged mosquito (family Tipulidae). I don't know the common name for this insects in English. They live from rotten wood.

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The first one is probably a larvae of a long legged mosquito (family Tipulidae). I don't know the common name for this insects in English. They live from rotten wood.
hmmm that would be a huge mosquito maybe i should by some industreial strength OFF

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
We call them Crane flies. The second larva is a type of mealworm (darkling).

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We call them Crane flies. The second larva is a type of mealworm (darkling).
crane flies make that big of a larva? i also dont think that is a darkling beetle larva. unless there are some that are really big. in that same tree was some beetles that were sorta goldish and about large june bug sized

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My largest Tipulid larvae is 3.5 inches long collected in NY, but it was aquatic. However, that larvae is no Tipulidae, not even the same infraorder. It is definitley in the infraorder Xylophagimorpha and if pressed I would guess family Xylophagidae, though it is a weird one.

As for the beetle, it is no Tenebrionidae. Unfortunatley the thing is so standard looking that it is hard to tell what family it is without a microscope and a key. It is probably in the superfamily Cucujoidea and perhaps perhaps family Erotylidae, but that is a stretch.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
crane flies make that big of a larva? i also dont think that is a darkling beetle larva. unless there are some that are really big. in that same tree was some beetles that were sorta goldish and about large june bug sized
Grow them up and I'll bet one looks like a crane fly and the other a darkling. Both are probably full grown so it shouldn't take much effort.