ID and HELP Pede found in house

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OK here we go
Found this little guy in the floor. We are having some bad weather and my wife took a hanging plant in from outside and when she looked on the floor picked this one up. I THINK i know what it is but you guys have a guess. I live in east central Texas. the plant came from a bit west in the blackland prarie. Not sure where they got it.
Only centipedes ive seen here are the little red stone pedes.
Also its not acting very healthy . any suggestiosn ho how to fix him up?

underside

topside

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like Hemiscolopendra marginata or Scolopendra viridis to me. Most likely the H. marginata. Just keep him moist. Feed half dead crickets

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well today that little pede is runnign around and acting pede like lol looks much better

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man I can't believe that pede made it! I thought it was goner for sure, especially from the undershot pic. Congrats on the free pede! Is it eating?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man I can't believe that pede made it! I thought it was goner for sure, especially from the undershot pic. Congrats on the free pede! Is it eating?
i havent seen it eat but the little crix dissapeared

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never seen my S.mirabilis eat, in fact I rarely see it at all!! I know it eats because there is the odd mangled cricket part strewn about his deli container, and the crix usually disappear overnight. A very healthy appetite indeed!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm well i think if i translate right your sig says . I am bitter because i have a plastic gun ...either that or . To the bitter end in Glock we trust lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually i think it was getting ready to molt... it looks about twice as big now lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Healthy and active an a bit bigger

Well the little pede is doing well. This makes me wish i had kept the one we found that time Gala. but its really very docile and after holding it a bit calmed down and sorta explored this odd new substrate i called my skin lol

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nice dude :)

H. marg difs from S. poly and S. viridis by having no "ventral proximotarsal spurs on any legs". thus spake R. Shelley. :worship:

ventral is "topside" proximo- means next, i think. tarsal is the foot region. spurs are these like spines. i think i have pics of them. i think. let me look for a positive to the Hemiscolopendra's negative

see the little "hair" just visible underneath the main claw? i think Scolopendra genus centipedes have those on some or all of their legs and Hemiscolopendra *doesn't*

i am thinking i might pose the q on atshq.org/forum where the R. Shelley doth resideth :worship:

edit again:
i consulted The Book and it appears i am The Right

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sure males have testes

ok, i *was* confused. the difference is a similar spine one segment up the leg that Scolopendra have and Hemi don't.

i don't think i actually have any pics of that

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sure males have testes

ok, i *was* confused. the difference is a similar spine one segment up the leg that Scolopendra have and Hemi don't.

i don't think i actually have any pics of that
lol well if they could be called balls they should be easier to sex lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah, i'm pretty much cheating cuz all their gear is inside
they should have the decency of having at least a color code , you know like pink spot for girls and a blue one for boys lool
just goes to show how much they care for our methods of gender identification lol