I Would Like Something Other Than A Grammostola & Brachypelma?

zacthree

Arachnopeon
Let me suggest an Aphonopelma hentzi. Beautiful looking T's, maybe similar to some Brachys. My friend has a mature female and so far has always been docile. Look it up, you might love it.

Wink

Arachnopeon
In my experience, OBT's have far more attitude than any of my H. lividum. My lividum are not pet holes either, they are out daily. If you do research and be prepared for the possibilities, I dont see anything wrong with getting either species mentioned above. That being said, if you are scared, then its probably better for both you and the T if you wait until you have more experience. Thats just my opinion though :)

I agree with others who said GBB. Great species, beautiful coloration, very active and mostly docile. You will love them! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IF you decide to go OW, I gotta say H. gigas is a sweet T. I've had three, all of which were very extroverted (what's a good word for not shy?). They all had burrows, which they constantly changed, but spent most of their time outside in view. Very active, fantastic feeders, and understated beauty. Love the gigas!

jungalist86

Arachnopeon
I'm going to jump in with the recommendation for C. cyaneopubescens. Hardy, beautiful color, voracious eaters, tons of silk. The prefect spider, IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

yeh man cant go wrong with a gbb

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I say GBB too. I find they are more beautiful than H Lividum. H Lividums are fast. I just fed mine a few moments ago and she rushed out and grabbed the roach in a snap! They are good eaters too, mine had 2 in her fangs just now. And they were adult raoches :D. But i still prefer the GBB as they eat a lot, make really nice webbing and have beautiful colorations on them!

-EDIT-
Just wanted to add, I find my H Lividum and GBB both out a lot of the time. Even in the day! The H lividum will be excavating(which is really interesting to watch) and the GBB will just be chillin.

a3overlord

Arachnopeon
I was told that the Avics were not really good for novice keepers, but my A.urticans was my 1st T, I just did alot of research, and talked to alot of people, and I've kept her with no problems.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm going to throw my two cents in here. I'm going to advise against the OBT, not because of its speed or potent venom, but because of the tendency for them to be reclusive. Mine stay in hiding. The only time I see them is when I first get up in the morning. I don't get threat displays or stridulating, just vanishing orange feet. As for Aphonopelma hentzi, they are usually docile, but I thought he wanted something more interesting. I would probably go with a L. parahybana or A. geniculata if I wanted a terrestrial with an aggressive feeding response, high visibility, rapid growth, and large size. If you want to go arboreal, go with Avicularia avicularia. They're cheap, easy to get, usually visible, and really not hard to take care of, despite all the alleged cases of "SADS".