I will be getting a new spider!!!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
i am getting to get 2 Brachypelma albopilosom spiderlings at 1/2", any suggestions on care and feeding and stuff? thanks,

James

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THey are easy to take care of. Just keep them moderately moist by misting every few days. Give them some substrate deep enough to dig into. For some reason their urticating hairs are really bad with me

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You'll want to make sure that you have 1/4" crix available. I'd recommend feeding every other 3rd day. THat will help you recognize when the s'ling is approaching a molt.Vermiculite is a goods substrate for slings. As far as housing, if they arrive in the little pill tubes, they can be housed in those for a while. If the containers they arrive in seem too small, than a baby food jar is a good enclosure for 1/2" s'lings.
I would recommend misting everyother day, S'lings are very prone to dehydration. Even s'lings of desert sp. are dependant on moisture.

Congrats on your new s'lings. Curlies are great T's. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Atrax

Vayu Son

Old Timer
Misting

I hardly ever mist my spiderlings unless their abdomens are small. The moisture they require is in a large part taken from their prey. In the pill vials, misting too frequently will make the air stagnant and speed up the decaying process of mixed cricket remains. Ventilation is more important IMHO.

-V

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep all my slings on potting soil and vermiculite or coconut soil. I feed them crushed 1/2" crics. If you keep the soil moist, then you don't have to worry about misting them. The moisture from the soil will evaporate and keep the humidity up, considering that you keep them @ temps btween 75-85.
Mike

Tupac Shakur

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Misting

Originally posted by Vayu Son
I hardly ever mist my spiderlings unless their abdomens are small. The moisture they require is in a large part taken from their prey. In the pill vials, misting too frequently will make the air stagnant and speed up the decaying process of mixed cricket remains. Ventilation is more important IMHO.

-V
This is true. I should've added that I only mist enough for the moisture to dissipate over the next day. Just like Vayu said, too much moisture in a s'ling container will stagnate if it sits too long. Especially if the tiniest uneaten prey remains are present. The frequency of mist of my s'lings is also based on the climate here in Colorado. The ambient humidity is less than 30% here. Usually even lower.

Atrax

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As you can see, the methods and tactics used for the same species will vary from person to person. In the experience of all of these keepers, they've had success with the various set ups. Somewhere in this range you will find what works for you.

I've got a bunch of curly slings from Holley that are doing quite well. I've still got them in the small condiment cups she sent them in and the group has been molting over the last few days. I've got them on straight peat moss and I keep the substrate damp. I drop a couple of drops of water on the substrate, if needed, when I feed them. I'll feed them every 2 to 4 days, depending on my schedule. I feed them cut-up mealworms, pinhead crickets, or crushed crickets, depending on what I have on hand at the time. Uneaten items are removed, usually after about 24 hours. Holley has also had success with small pieces of beefheart.

Botar

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well since your getting them from me I'll tell you whats worked for me this far. I can't stand tiny crickets so I feed them pre killed small crickets(about the size of them) The vials there in should be good for a little while, maybe 1-2 molts. Pure vermiculite is what there on now, and is re-moistend every 10 days or so. They like to burrow in it, and play hide and seek when you come near. Other than that there easy to take care of. Hope you enjoy them.