i want another

i_love_em

Arachnopeon
i have 2 tarantulas g. rosea and a b.smithi i want to make somewhat of a commune with a. avicularia, i hear they arent cannibalistic and i want an aboreal tarantula for my next one..........i am wondering if this is a good idea..and would like input from someone who know a little more than i do....and when i got my smithi....she had a bare spot on her abdomen...ive read that she can shoot these hairs off and have noticed that she sometimes twitches her back legs...is this what she is doing or is it something else.......also i am wondering about my rosea...the other day i was putting a cricket in the aquarium and "herb" tried to attack my hand...ive read that they are normally calm...and thought this was strange because i didnt think "herb" would do that..plz help me:confused:

p.s. i refer to it as "herb" because im not sure of the sex.......also i have been thinking of a trinidad chevron....but i hear they are pretty aggresive.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome aboard.

i want to make somewhat of a commune with a. avicularia, i hear they arent cannibalistic and i want an aboreal tarantula for my next one..........i am wondering if this is a good idea..

I was unsuccessful at my attempt. Some on this forum are doing it right now, I believe. I think that the concensus is, is that it can work for a while, but eventually it will fail. I could be wrong.

and when i got my smithi....she had a bare spot on her abdomen...ive read that she can shoot these hairs off and have noticed that she sometimes twitches her back legs...is this what she is doing or is it something else.......

Yes. Smithis are notorious hair kickers. Watch out for them, they itch!

also i am wondering about my rosea...the other day i was putting a cricket in the aquarium and "herb" tried to attack my hand...ive read that they are normally calm...and thought this was strange because i didnt think "herb" would do that..plz help me

Um, I have seen lots of people on this forum post about how they got a psycho rosey. I guess they aren't all too uncommon.

At the top of the screen, there will be a button that says "search". Click on it and type in the word "communal". You will find lots of stuff on keeping A. avics together as well as pokies too.

Good Luck
Big Dragonfly

i_love_em

Arachnopeon
thanks

thank you very much i have sent numerous e-mails with no reply.......this sounds strange but you have been alot of help....with no mention of the trinidad i will assume it is a bad choice at this time so i will go with the a. avic and maybe (heeding others warnings of course) try seeing just how social they really are......thank you again

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Big DF said it all perfectly!

I have a Trinidad Chevy and they are not as aggressive as you state but they are extremely flighty!!! They will get away from you in the blink of an eye! They are beautiful T's. I rarely see mine, he/she makes a nice web/substrate retreat and only comes out for feeding. Hope this helps?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oops! Sorry. Didn't take notice about the part at end about Trinidad.

Yes. Very fast and flighty.

I would try to deal with an avic for a while, they can get really fast and flighty, but for the most part, they are known to be docile while trinidads are known to be bitey. Also, there is talk about how trinidads, even though new world species, might be more like a pokie, which are thought to pack some serious venom.

I don't know how good the arguement about the trinidad/pokie connection is. But I would err on the side of caution.

They are quite beautiful aren't they. I really like the P. irminia.

BD

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey,
I wanted to say hello and welcome to the best Tarantula site known to mankind.;) And a big I_ Love_ Em too.

Ernie

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello and welcome to the coolest hobby known to mankind!
I have 3 roseas and one red-morph rosea, and out of the four only one of them is really docile. I have 4 Avicularia avics, and I have them in pairs and so far they are living communal and not eating each other. Got to make sure there is enough hiding spots and room for them.
As for the P.cambridgei, if you are new at this I might wait until you get a little more experience under your belt. Have you seen the C.fasciatum,(Costa Rican tiger rump), they are really gorgeous and not as flighty as the Trinidad.
Best of Luck!!!!!

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by i_love_em
i have 2 tarantulas g. rosea and a b.smithi i want to make somewhat of a commune with a. avicularia, i hear they arent cannibalistic and i want an aboreal tarantula for my next one..........i am wondering if this is a good idea

If you have enough space it may go well. I have kept and bred A. avicularia in groups and they were fine. The male that I bred with two females died of old age living with the females.
My suggestion is 10 gallons of space per tarantula (if you are able to provide that kind of room).
A pair is best kept in a 20 gallon, or a triad in a 30 gallon, etc. You can keep them in smaller quarters but then the chance of cannabilism increases.
Avicularia avicularia sometimes cannabilize, but if they're well fed and watered, etc. they usually don't.

..and would like input from someone who know a little more than i do....and when i got my smithi....she had a bare spot on her abdomen...ive read that she can shoot these hairs off and have noticed that she sometimes twitches her back legs...is this what she is doing or is it something else.......

That's what it sounds like to me, either cleaning herself or kicking hairs.
If she does it when she is startled then she's probably kicking hairs.

also i am wondering about my rosea...the other day i was putting a cricket in the aquarium and "herb" tried to attack my hand...ive read that they are normally calm...and thought this was strange because i didnt think "herb" would do that..plz help me:confused:

Tarantulas can be "moody" sort of like people. She could be coming up on a molt and feeling more defensive or could just be having a bad day, lol. So don't take it personally!
She was just letting you know she wanted her space.

p.s. i refer to it as "herb" because im not sure of the sex.......also i have been thinking of a trinidad chevron....but i hear they are pretty aggresive.
What size is your rosea?

Paul

i_love_em

Arachnopeon
well...."herb" is about 3-4 inches from font leg to back.....i wish i had a digital camera(i would show u) but "herb" isnt that big and i was also gonna ask if maybe that was as big as "herb" was gonna be or if he/she would get bigger

Dr_Strange

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I know what you mean, about being addictive. My mother started with only one T a G. Rosea. Now she has over 10 different spp. What's sad though, is all the recent losses, which has saddened my mother to the point she's stopped having interests in expanding her collection. She's said: " When these die it's the last of the spiders i'll own."

You might be wondering how they died, it was mainly due to complicated molts. They'd get out of their exuvium good, but the next day they'd be in the corner of the cage w/ their legs curled under them.

It's a bit of a mystery, because they were all well fed (up to the molt). The prey would never stay in the cage more than 24hrs. They were all very well hydrated and the rooms temperature was always 70-80 degress F, the substrate and cage top kept the moisture in and allowed plenty of air flow the substrate was always kept sanitary and despite all that they died. :(