I thought I was ready!

Ciri

Arachnopeon
This is an interesting topic, for me the NW's urticating hairs (with some exception i.e. my fossorial sp. P. sazimai) are too much and 8/11 of my species are Old Worlds - P. metallica, 2x 8" P. rufilata, AF H. maculata, M. balfouri to name a few of what I keep.

As someone who started on the opposite spectrum, beginning with the OW obligate burrower C. lividus - rehousing is best done slowly and meticulously, as @Trenor mentioned with ample work space. The best thing you can think of is the worst case scenario - that at any moment the T will bolt on you.

However, if there is one universal tip I've used with all of my larger specimens as well as on slings - invest in a very soft, small paint brush which you can gently stroke the specimen. This works not only to get a reaction; which gives insight into it's disposition, but when rehousing my largest old worlds a paint brush is gentle enough to "coax" them out without issue.

Using the method of a paint brush, gently stroking the T I have never had one bolt on me, and they calmly move into the old enclosure directly into the new one given time.

I hope this helps! From my experience OW T's can be lightning fast with their feeding response, but always remember in the event of a threat their behaviour is to retreat rather than strike if they are given the option to hoof it back to their silk cocoon.

P.S. I forgot to mention that at least with my 8" Poecilotheria rufilata, I have attempted a rehouse but instead waited for a better day as she was being uncooperative. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is sometimes patience is key with OW specimens.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I do re housing in a big rubber maid tub. Know the tarantula too. I was only scared when I had to Barehand my stirmi to keep her from falling. Turned out ok, besides getting irritated for a few hours from hairs. My lp literally slapped me twice, but that's it. Don't know why, but tarantulad never scared me.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
After keeping a variety of ow and nw, I can say I honestly prefer NW arboreal. So many people rush into OWs without taking the time to keep many Nw species, they don't know what they're missing!:p

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
Not every OW will act that way, literally flying the hell out of the room... a giant Pelinobius muticus will definitely stand firm to the ground, hissing and striking (not always in that order) like there's no tomorrow, ah ah :-s
Unpacked mine today. She's not giant, but she did all of the above while inching towards me slowly. Teasing me of the impending doom to come.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
When I got my poor doomed A. avicularia fem from a lps (didn't know she had nematodes):(, I went to rehouse her. I had her in the catch cup one minute, a nanosecond later she leaped onto my right cheek. I totally froze and stopped breathing. I didn't scream nor fling her off my face. But I couldn't breathe. Somehow, I don't remember how, I got her back in the catch cup and then into her home.
Let me tell you though this recovering arachniphobe had to change her pants lol!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I definitely agree with being in an open space. However, one thing that I've found that works for me is to have a bunched up towel nearby...or a couple of random things where the spider can hide. When I've rehoused and had one do a runner on me they tend to find a place where they feel safe, whether its the fold of a towel or a spare piece of cork that I have sitting close by where I'm doing the rehousing. That way they tend to not travel as far and I'll know exactly where they are and can get them into a catch cup easier.

I also go into every rehousing assuming that the spider will make a run for it and it won't go according to plan. That way if it happens I'm a bit less taken by surprise and can remain calmer.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Have a friend jump out and scare you repeatedly until you dont jump :p

I joke aha it would never really work anyway
Close, but the friend should be equipped with a pair of syringes containing a toxic fluid, and crazy enough that he may or may not try to stab you with them.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
At least you noticed before you got an OW. After 2 months I wouldn't recommend going near any advanced species. You can read as much as you want about how to keep OW species and about incidents other people had with theirs but when **** hits the fan you will never be prepared unless you were in that situation before. I do own OW Ts and for the most part they are way more boring than my NWs. If you get spooked by a 1" avic sling in a cup you might want to work on staying calm. Another thing is no matter how careful and experienced you are there is always a risk of getting bitten. So the first thing you should do is read as many bitereports of OWs as you can find and then consider if you really want to deal with something like that.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
At least you noticed before you got an OW. After 2 months I wouldn't recommend going near any advanced species. You can read as much as you want about how to keep OW species and about incidents other people had with theirs but when **** hits the fan you will never be prepared unless you were in that situation before. I do own OW Ts and for the most part they are way more boring than my NWs. If you get spooked by a 1" avic sling in a cup you might want to work on staying calm. Another thing is no matter how careful and experienced you are there is always a risk of getting bitten. So the first thing you should do is read as many bitereports of OWs as you can find and then consider if you really want to deal with something like that.
I've read plenty of bite reports, and have definitely thought about whether or not I want an OW, and I definitely do. I've owned herps loonggg before I ever owned any Ts and I've never been scared of any animal biting me (yes even venomous). I just need to work on my reactions and get used to the way they move. A defensive spider actually makes me far less nervous than a flighty one, I think because I'm used to 6ft+ snakes wanting to strike me instead of running away faster than lightening lol. Regardless I understand I'm not quite ready and I won't rush anything, I'm having a ton of fun with all my NW species anyways :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is an interesting topic, for Ie the NW's urticating hairs (with some exception i.e. my fossorial sp. P. sazimai) are too much and 8/11 of my species are Old Worlds - P. metallica, 2x 8" P. rufilata, AF H. maculata, M. balfouri to name a few of what I keep.

As someone who started on the opposite spectrum, beginning with the OW obligate burrower C. lividus - rehousing is best done slowly and meticulously, as @Trenor mentioned with ample work space. The best thing you can think of is the worst case scenario - that at any moment the T will bolt on you.

However, if there is one universal tip I've used with all of my larger specimens as well as on slings - invest in a very soft, small paint brush which you can gently stroke the specimen. This works not only to get a reaction; which gives insight into it's disposition, but when rehousing my largest old worlds a paint brush is gentle enough to "coax" them out without issue.

Using the method of a paint brush, gently stroking the T I have never had one bolt on me, and they calmly move into the old enclosure directly into the new one given time.

I hope this helps! From my experience OW T's can be lightning fast with their feeding response, but always remember in the event of a threat their behaviour is to retreat rather than strike if they are given the option to hoof it back to their silk cocoon.

P.S. I forgot to mention that at least with my 8" Poecilotheria rufilata, I have attempted a rehouse but instead waited for a better day as she was being uncooperative. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is sometimes patience is key with OW specimens.
The paintbrush can help, but i've also noticed that some T's react better when i use a flat, wider brush, or a lid from a delicup. The brush/lid is sort of working like a wall that is gently moving towards the T.
For the fasties I use a cup that has the same diameter and shape as the enclosure, with some holes in it big enough to push a small straw or paintbrush through. Place the cup in the enclosure and coax the spider in the cup (usually they come flying upward as a response) put a piece of cardboard under it and transfer to new enclosure. :)

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
I personally dealt with 2 escapes this year from a B.albopilosum and A.chalcodes. I spooked the albopilosum while lifting it's hide and accidentally dropping it and I panicked. The 2nd escape I was able to handle much much more professionally. While feeding my chalcodes I lifted the lid a little bit as she always likes trying to climb out. She managed to get a few legs through so I had to fully take the lids off. I had a catch cup ready and was calm preparing for the worst. Luckily she just walked around the side of her home and went back inside. Crisis averted lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been keeping Ts for about 2 months now, and now have 11. Now I'm the type of person that spends all of my free time researching things I enjoy, which as of late is tarantulas. With that said I am a very confident person, so I've convinced myself "I'm just so ready for an old world!" :shifty: boy can I be naive sometimes. Today while attempting to rehouse an avic avic, it escaped on me, and I reacted terrible. First off it jumped into a small deli cup I was going to move it with, and I dropped the freakin cup! (only a few inches on to my desk) It then began running up the wall and I had no preplan for this scenario, and no catch up ready :bigtears:. Luckily there was a larger deli cup nearby that I used to capture it, and safely move it over.

Man, I couldnt imagine if that was a more aggresive, or even faster species. I feel like an idiot. This just goes to show experience beats research 10 times out of 10. I'll be holding off on the old worlds just a bit longer.
First there's no reason to rush or even own a OW T. They aren't for everyone. I'm glad the obvious mistakes you made were not done with a large Asian arboreal.

There will always be OW Ts, again no rush.

I read all your posts. I strongly suggest you go through several rehousings etc that require interactions with Ts before owning any OW. If you aren't sure, get a Psalmo species BEFORE getting an OW. As a long time herp owner myself, snakes in many ways are far easier to deal with than a loose T. You can grab onto a snake, you can't lunge and grab onto your 8 legged friend without killing it.

Also, I STRONGLY suggest you observe Cold Blood rehouse his OWs. What better way to see what it's like than up close?! Research/videos etc teach you virtually nothing in many ways. They certainly cannot prepare you for speed.

I am more interested in the feeding response, webbing, and beauty of the T. Having said that I am getting the urge to buy M. balfouri or genus Ceratogyrus recently.
I own both Jeff. Certo's are an excellent beginner OW genus. I'd recommend that over a more expensive OW. Also, balfouri are certainly faster than any of my Cerato's, in fact among the fastest Ts I've seen on "land", except for N. incei. Something to consider. The feeding response of both is the same, like almost all Ts, nothing new/exciting there. Webbing balfouri wins out there. However, while not OW, N. incei are by far, much more interesting webbers than balfouri to me. Balfouri just cover the sub in a sheet of web, a lot like GBBs. N. incei do that, but lay down more intricate looking webbing. PLUS, N. incei don't have urticating setae either, like balfouri ;) and they are much cheaper, if that's a consideration too.

This is an interesting topic, for me the NW's urticating hairs (with some exception i.e. my fossorial sp. P. sazimai) are too much
There arboreal and terrestrial NW species w/out urticating setae in case you didn't know =)

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
First there's no reason to rush or even own a OW T. They aren't for everyone. I'm glad the obvious mistakes you made were not done with a large Asian arboreal.

There will always be OW Ts, again no rush.

I read all your posts. I strongly suggest you go through several rehousings etc that require interactions with Ts before owning any OW. If you aren't sure, get a Psalmo species BEFORE getting an OW. As a long time herp owner myself, snakes in many ways are far easier to deal with than a loose T. You can grab onto a snake, you can't lunge and grab onto your 8 legged friend without killing it.

Also, I STRONGLY suggest you observe Cold Blood rehouse his OWs. What better way to see what it's like than up close?! Research/videos etc teach you virtually nothing in many ways. They certainly cannot prepare you for speed.

I own both Jeff. Certo's are an excellent beginner OW genus. I'd recommend that over a more expensive OW. Also, balfouri are certainly faster than any of my Cerato's, in fact among the fastest Ts I've seen on "land", except for N. incei. Something to consider. The feeding response of both is the same, like almost all Ts, nothing new/exciting there. Webbing balfouri wins out there. However, while not OW, N. incei are by far, much more interesting webbers than balfouri to me. Balfouri just cover the sub in a sheet of web, a lot like GBBs. N. incei do that, but lay down more intricate looking webbing. PLUS, N. incei don't have urticating setae either, like balfouri ;) and they are much cheaper, if that's a consideration too.

There arboreal and terrestrial NW species w/out urticating setae in case you didn't know =)

That's my plan :) I'm just gonna take it easy amd get comfortable with my Ts. Not only did I get three cambridgei from cold blood, but I've already done a few rehousings with him :happy:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Webbing balfouri wins out there. However, while not OW, N. incei are by far, much more interesting webbers than balfouri to me. Balfouri just cover the sub in a sheet of web, a lot like GBBs. N. incei do that, but lay down more intricate looking webbing. PLUS, N. incei don't have urticating setae either, like balfouri ;) and they are much cheaper, if that's a consideration too.
My M.balfouri communal enclosure ended up with a pretty cool web design. They made web tunnel covers over pretty good sized burrows. My N.incei have made some cool webs as well but being slings they haven't really reached the web magnitude that the communal has. They have been enlargen the burrows so that's why there is all that dirt in the middle of the webbing. Two were out when I went to take the photo. :D

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Update:

I picked up this P. Murinus and rehoused it today, super awesome experience. It went great despite several complications, I reacted very well to everything, and was hardly nervous. Super excited to start up with more OWs :happy:

20170101233420_IMG_1128.JPG

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Rehousing is always a fun experience....as long as you know what you need to make it go well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Update:

I picked up this P. Murinus and rehoused it today, super awesome experience. It went great despite several complications, I reacted very well to everything, and was hardly nervous. Super excited to start up with more OWs :happy:

View attachment 228195
And you've been keeping Ts for about 2 months :banghead:o_O:wideyed:

Slings are easy to deal with, even OW slings are relatively easy to deal with. When your OW T becomes a 5" Adult Female, and stands its ground and doesn't run, that is another story, or even a male. It appears you haven't thought this through at all.

The other issue which you may or may not be aware of is many OWs (even many NWs) will outgrow the owner's ability as they have fast growth rates. It doesn't take long to go from 0.5" to 4" for some Asian arboreals for example.

Just something for you to think about. I STRONGLY suggest you grow this one up till it's about 4-5" before getting another OW. There is no rush to get a bunch of OWs that you are not ready to deal with as evidenced by your Avic post below. They will always be around when you are ready.

You should re-read your words below from your first post.

"I've been keeping Ts for about 2 months now, and now have 11. Now I'm the type of person that spends all of my free time researching things I enjoy, which as of late is tarantulas. With that said I am a very confident person, so I've convinced myself "I'm just so ready for an old world!" :shifty: boy can I be naive sometimes. Today while attempting to rehouse an avic avic, it escaped on me, and I reacted terrible. First off it jumped into a small deli cup I was going to move it with, and I dropped the freakin cup! (only a few inches on to my desk) It then began running up the wall and I had no preplan for this scenario, and no catch up ready :bigtears:. Luckily there was a larger deli cup nearby that I used to capture it, and safely move it over.

Man, I couldnt imagine if that was a more aggresive, or even faster species. I feel like an idiot. This just goes to show experience beats research 10 times out of 10. I'll be holding off on the old worlds just a bit longer.
"

It's like driving, one doesn't start off driving a top-fuel dragster ;)

Last edited: