i thought b. lateralis didn't climb??

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
title says it all. i just noticed that a male had climbed up near the top of the enclosure. i had to remove them from my glass enclosure cause they climbed up the silicone glue in the corners using it as a ladder of sorts. when applying the vaseline to keep them from getting out does one apply a thick layer of vaseline or a thin layer?? i've been using a thin layer and am beginning to have doubts to the efficiency of that thin layer.

simon780

Arachnopeon
Yes, they cannot climb on vertical smooth surface, but silicon has texture, they can climb it easily. You'd better use a plastic bin, you don't even need any Vaseline.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, i switched out enclosures and have them in a plastic bin now and yet they still have managed to climb. i have seen how they do it. they brace their back legs against the side and slowly make their way towards the top of the bin.

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never had that happen with my lateralis. I'm thinking maybe there's some roughened up areas on the sides of your enclosure. Or, maybe there's a build-up of hard water deposits. I have mine in a large tupperware-type container.

I did once see a male fly for a few seconds, though.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never had that happen with my lateralis. I'm thinking maybe there's some roughened up areas on the sides of your enclosure. Or, maybe there's a build-up of hard water deposits. I have mine in a large tupperware-type container.

I did once see a male fly for a few seconds, though.
fully.

i am pretty sure Blatta lacks scopulae, the molecular adhesion pads. but they have very effective toe claws and a pretty light build

i've seen males do wing-boosted jumps inside a container to get to very weird places that let them escape. tricky devils.

simon780

Arachnopeon
they can climb slightly slope smooth surface quiet well, their body weight helps them a lot, keep the sides clean helps

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Attention!
there are different types of "finishes" used for the inside of rubbermaid bins!
if it is ever-so-slightly textured, or even slightly "gummy" feeling, there's a decent chance they may be able to climb it!

cheers! :D
- munis

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
appreciate the advice. i'll do whatever i can to keep them from climbing.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine can get out of some of the kritter keepers I have. I think it's because they're a bit scratched so the surface isn't quite smooth anymore.
Thanks for the note about rubbermaid containers. None have escaped from mine yet but those things can sure jump!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Occasionally I find a male lat in a tub where he doesnt belong... thinking they get exited and fly outonce in a while. Never see any others out though....
2 cents....
Matt K

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they're able to climb the plastic bin you're keeping them in, you can just line the top of the bin with clear packing tape instead of Vaseline. You'll want to stick the packing tape on there as flat as possible without any folds. And occasionally wipe it down with a damp towel to avoid any dust or water stain buildup.