I think........

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
You guys are going to make me want to try my hand at pede wrangling. After looking through these threads and getting the feeling that Gillian loves hers....Maybe this spring I will try my hand at it. They are some awesome looking creatures!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for it, they are great pets, and they are so interesting because of the fact that they are so different from anything out there. I've had my pedes for a few years now, and i still get excited when i see my big subspinipes moving around or eating.

Cheers,

Dan.

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Originally posted by danread
I've had my pedes for a few years now, and i still get excited when i see my big subspinipes moving around or eating.

Dan.
Hi Dan,
As you probably know I'm hoping to get a subspinipes in the New Year.As youv'e had yours for several years,you are obviously keeping it just right.What level of humidity do you maintain it at?Failure to get this right,seems to be the only thing that goes wrong with these tough customers.I kep all my pedes on a moisture gradient.Basically 50% damp substrate 50% dry.This seems to work fine with those I've got including my Yellow leg,which is apparently a more misture dependant pede.
George :)

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I keep my T's in a warm room (76 to 84) that is also kept quite humid. Will this be appropriate for pedes?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi George,

I can't claim to be an expert at keeping vietnamese subspinipes, as i've only got one, but i can tell you how i kee mine and it seems as happy as a subspinipes can be (at least i hope so). I use a 18" by 10" glass tank with a secure lid. The substrate is a 60/40 mix of peat and medium grade vermiculite. There is a large waterbowl in the container that is full always, and it is heated with a heat mat attached to the back of the shelf it is on, covering approx a third of the back of the tank, which keeps the tank between 22 and 28 degrees celcius.. As for the humidity, when i first mixed the substrate and put it in, i think i put in about two or three cups of water, and mixed it all together well. I mainly did this to help it bind together so that the pede could burrow if it wanted to. I never spray the tank, just keep the waterbowl full and overflow it a bit sometimes. There is usually a bit of condensation in the corner of the tank, but not loads. If i had to guess the humidity level, i'd probably say about 70-80%. There is reasonable ventilation on the lid, but not that much. I've got a humidity meter somewhere in the house, so i'll try and dig it out and get an accurate measure of the humidity levels.

Mr feexit,

I reckon that temperature range sounds fine.

Cheers,

Dan.

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Subspinipes Husbandry,Cheers

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the info.it's very helpful.I'm glad to hear the substrate mix and ratio of is the same as I'm using.As I said my pedes seem happy enough,and yours obviously have been for a long time now. The overflowed water dish method of providing humidity is the main one I use for rainforest T's (with some extra misting in the hottest months) and that has worked for me for years,without mite problems.
George;)