I Think She's Dying...

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not better yet? Any signs of movement? Since it doesn't look any better yet I'm thinking it'll probably pass if it hasn't done so already. :(
She's hanging in there. She does move. When she senses movement (when I check up on her and fill her water dish) she stands, even attempts to get out.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Hey bud

hope she gets through this ok! and about her fangs being open, do you thing she is trying to drink some water through the wet paper towel?

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey bud

hope she gets through this ok! and about her fangs being open, do you thing she is trying to drink some water through the wet paper towel?
I'm not too sure about that cause she's had her fangs like that since I saw her in this condition (before I moved her to the ICU).

Thanks for the well wishes!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You realize that while most of us understand its for dehydrated spiders, if the spider is doing the death curl, and as far as I know there aren't many Tarantula vets you can take them to, then the last ditch effort would be the ICU method?

It's better to try it than to just let whats going to happen, happen. If I knew my spider was on its way out and it wasn't likely from old age, I'd definitely try the ICU method just hoping it would help.

Better to try something than do nothing at all. I hope your T makes it. :(
Many ab users put their "T" in an ICU or recomend it for the tinyest thing. The spider in the picture does not look dehydrated.
Imo it will (as i said) will cause a huge amount of stress when the spider is moved from its safe house into a wet and unfamiliar container. Big changes in humidity is never good either. It can also be harmful to raise from ex. 45-80% humidity in an instant.

I just wish people could be more careful before they put or recomend others to use an ICU. I think it would be better to raise humidity in the enclosure if it is needed instead:)

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Many ab users put their "T" in an ICU or recomend it for the tinyest thing. The spider in the picture does not look dehydrated.
Imo it will (as i said) will cause a huge amount of stress when the spider is moved from its safe house into a wet and unfamiliar container. Big changes in humidity is never good either. It can also be harmful to raise from ex. 45-80% humidity in an instant.

I just wish people could be more careful before they put or recomend others to use an ICU. I think it would be better to raise humidity in the enclosure if it is needed instead:)
Much agreed!

Only use a ICU when you know its a dehydration prob, otherwise it can do more harm. just add a little more water to the substrate and a little more heat than normally!

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The way the legs are curled under in this case would suggest to me either dehydration or a lack of internal pressure. I see what you're saying Falk, and I agree that 90% of the time people suggest the ICU for even the smallest situations. IMO, in this specific case the ICU looks to be necessary.

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Understood, in the end, we do what we can to help in any way we can. But yeah, you are right, I tend to see the ICU used for almost everything when it comes to Ts.