I think my P. imperator has mites?

BosleyBugg

Arachnopeon
I picked up this P. imperator at a reptile expo the other day, and I noticed that there are a lot of white spots around its eyes and some on its body. I think they might be mites of some sort, but I can't tell if they're moving or not. Can anyone tell me what they are, and how to get rid of them? Does this scorpion look healthy overall? Any help is great, thanks.

Attachments

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you have mites!

Yes you have mites ! I suggest quarantine for this one. Dry it up and try to remove as many as you can .This can be done with a q-tip dipped in alcohol (not to much).Be carefull around the eyes .

BosleyBugg

Arachnopeon
Dang! Could it spread to my other scorpion and tarantulas, or my reptiles/amphibians? How can I brush the mites away from its eyes with the alcohol dipped q-tip, without hurting its eyes? How long should it take to get rid of the mites if I use the alcohol and change the substrate every day?

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They will spread to your other scorps fast so quarantine is recommended. I had luck giving mine a (bath)in the sink washing her down carefully.and if you are patient enough to swab them all off (as much as possible)and keep at it you may get rid of them. But really they should do no harm to your scorp .I also used a toothpick.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure if I would use alcohol but perhaps something more mild,
but q-tip removal is in order here..

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Toothpick would be best, if not a knife, I use a dental tool. Do a search on this site using "grain mites" for more info. I use Isopods to clean up leftovers those mites eat, the ones that are able to roll into a ball, not the fast lighter colored ones. There are prob 1000's underneath your scorp.

BosleyBugg

Arachnopeon
oh boy, this was my first adult scorpion, I don't think I'm experienced enough to deal with these mites! I think I'll give it to someone who knows what to do and can give it a good home. Thanks for your help, everyone.