I think my Brachypelma hamorii hates me a bit

Sophistikeo

Arachnopeon
He keeps flicking hairs and getting bald. I haven’t touched him at all or gave him any food within this past week. But he seems pretty healthy. I’m not really worrying about it, I’m just confused on why he might be flicking hairs by himself.

Attachments

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
Th
He keeps flicking hairs and getting bald. I haven’t touched him at all or gave him any food within this past week. But he seems pretty healthy. I’m not really worrying about it, I’m just confused on why he might be flicking hairs by himself.
That’s normal. Are those white bits mold? Could spot clean and take them out

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
White bits look like poop to me.
how long have you had your T? Tarantulas will flick their urticating setae on the ground for protection, kinda like booby traps.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Tank looks barren and like a risk for fall damage. I'd increase the substrate, maybe even use a different kind with less wood chips. Give a water dish if there isn't one and maybe a bit more decor like a fake plant for different coverage options.
I know this isn't a 'critique the enclosure' thread. But your T might hate you less if it's home is more homey. 😆 (Just kidding, your T doesn't hate you)

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would agree with TLSizzle on this, I would give him more substrate and maybe a soft fake plant to wrassle with or seek cover under on his way to the water dish

Sophistikeo

Arachnopeon
i have a ton of coconut soil and put some wood chips on top. I have a water dish that I put a little bit of water in almost everyday. And I’ve been really wanting some actual real plants in his tank, but i don’t know which plants he needs. any suggesti?

White bits look like poop to me.
how long have you had your T? Tarantulas will flick their urticating setae on the ground for protection, kinda like booby traps.
A month

Th

That’s normal. Are those white bits mold? Could spot clean and take them out
I just looked closely at the picture. That’s the glare off of a Dr Pepper bottle. (I need to clean off my desk)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Normal behavior- also your T doesn’t have the brain structures to actually like you or hate you.

But they can think you’re a threat. However here is not the case.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Definitely needs several more inches of substrate. You want 1.5 times the legspan from the top to prevent it hurting itself in a fall.

I do concur though. As sparce as it is, it might just be stressed being in the open, however new worlds typically do this as a barrier to protect from predators.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Can your t recognize you?😄

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I recommend fake plants versus real as they have different requirements that need to be balanced to be kept successfully so neither your T, nor the plant suffer.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I recommend fake plants versus real as they have different requirements that need to be balanced to be kept successfully so neither your T, nor the plant suffer.
Yes this is a good suggestion. While I myself have quite a few planted tanks, for general tarantula keeper it is much easier to have a high level with focus on the spider and tank conditions, when there are no plants to also consider, and also vice versa. When in doubt-K.I.S.S.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Tank looks barren and like a risk for fall damage. I'd increase the substrate, maybe even use a different kind with less wood chips. Give a water dish if there isn't one and maybe a bit more decor like a fake plant for different coverage options.
I know this isn't a 'critique the enclosure' thread. But your T might hate you less if it's home is more homey. 😆 (Just kidding, your T doesn't hate you)
This

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Your Brachy doesn't hate that's a personification.
Anti-Social perhaps lol
Most Spiders don't get along well with others.
Doesn't mean they hate, just don't like. lol

Last edited: