I think I have a Aphonopelma seemanni but then again it could be an Cyrtophylis porpo

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
er this kinda blows seeing as I really wanted a Aphonopelma seemanni but the more I look and research I think she may be a Cyrtophylis porpo. Anyone ever deal with a Cyrtophylis porpo? shes touchy and fast and pretty secretive , some other reasons I tend to think shes a C. porpo is size for age, I figure her about 3.5 inches and looks rather mature to me. She was a rescue from a Petco and honestly I thought her a A. seemanni when I picked it up. ( no I didnt "pick" it up literaly cause it seems to want a peice of me even when I just open the tank for crickets) ... I dont know if I am going nutz but also since I got her I have heard a funky squeeking in the wee hours... and no I dont drink. So whats the deal with that? Honeslty if I can get resiltue identification and shes a porpo someone else cant have her aggro-ass. I find myself questing for the more docile types these days.
thanks -
Ed.:confused:

I will have to borrow a digital cam so perhaps someone can ID her for sure...:?

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scroll up above these posts, click on the "tarantula" box, then click on the "gallery" box, theres a few pix of the seemanni, but I have no idea what the other one is your naming, campare the pix.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is *possible* that you have a C. porporicae since its range and A. seemanni's might overlap in parts of Puerto Rico (anyone out there know for sure?) but unlikely.

A. seemanni aren't that big, about 4.5" for a fully mature female, so showing signs of adult hood at 3.5" is not unlikely. They're also not necessarily very docile, they're one of the more jumpy Aphonopelmas and aggression is not unknown. Last, you can assume that its WC if it was a Petco rescue. Petco is never going to intentionally be dealing with a P.R. Pygmy, so if they got one it was because it was imported mistakenly from P.R. as A. seemanni but was really C. porporicae. While I can't rule that out, since A. seemanni has pretty wide range and I don't have a clue if that crosses over to Puerto Rico, it's not likely.

The odds are that you just have an aggressive A. seemanni.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
Damn -
very very very close. perhaps time will tell it seems the Semmanni have a off-colored bit between the white ("cream") color striping down its legs. Mine doesnt seem to have that though perhaps its only cause its young?
shrugs-
Ed.
btw if anyone has ever had or is keeping a costa-rican pygme(sp?) shoot me an email, or post here.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's a Puerto Rican Pygmy, not Costa Rican Pygmy. It's the seemanni that calls Costa Rica one of its main haunts although it's found in a lot of places. The P.R. Pygmy is just found in Puerto Rico.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
thanks for the mild correction
theres nothing worse then when a person more knowlageable then you in a field rubs your face in a mistake. Honestly I am glad you thought of where it comes from as being a clue to which T it is... I hadnt thought of it.
horray forum :D

thanks CM

Ed

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

get an A.seemani! great T's, and its also my opinion, so whatever you find that ya like get what you think you would like, or you can just get both of em!

James

Lantang

Arachnopeon
try this?

The Puerto Rican Stripe knee aka Puerto Rican Pygmy(Cyrtopholis portoricae) I believe have an all black abdoman(including the underside), Im not 100% sure but I think A.seemanni have a tan underside(of there abdoman), when there juvenile's.

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We are going through a similar mystery with our supposed A. seemani. It was given to us by someone who do longer wanted to care for her. She is quit large, about 6 inches. We think she looks like an A. seemani but she does not seem to be as docile as she should be. We dare not attempt to handle her. Granted, each individual spider has its own temperment. We have a Chilean Rose that will not be handled too. We are always wondering if our Stripknee is really an A. seemani. If anyone has a photo of the Cyrtopholis portoricae we would love to see it.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: damn my short term memory

Originally posted by looseyfur
may be a pink zebra as well ??
a
Problem with that theory for arachnopunks' mystery spider is that docility seems to be their main point. A. seemanni is more likely to be bad tempered than E. campestratus, although I've read of owners with psycho PZBs as well. Whatever it is, it's definitely not a P.R. Pygmy if it's got a 6" leg span.

Bottom line, guys, is docility means exactly nothing for indicating species. It's a trend, a rule of thumb, but just like with people there are always the exceptions. Some people even have nasty B. smithis, they're out there.

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, It is definitly not E. campestratus because we have one and it is different. After looking at the photo of the Puerto Rican Pygmy, I would have to contend that our is still an A. seemani. She was not in a proper environment for most of her life and was always escaping according to her previous owner. She was in a very dry enclosure with only gravel with no shelter and a dry water dish. Since we have had her, we put her in a 10 gallon with over 6 inches of substrate. She has dug all the way to the bottom of it and then back up to the top. She used to wander around the enclosure a lot, but now she seems pretty content. Maybe her defensivness had something to do with the fact that she had never really had a proper environment. We should try again now that she is more settled in and behaving like a normal spider.

The photo is of her in her burrow which is quite complex and luckily all against the glass.

Attachments

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by arachnopunks
Maybe her defensivness had something to do with the fact that she had never really had a proper environment. We should try again now that she is more settled in and behaving like a normal spider.

The photo is of her in her burrow which is quite complex and luckily all against the glass.
Great picture! It definitely looks like a seemanni to me. And I wouldn't assume its temperament is against it, as this species isn't necessarily known for being the most docile. I currently have one seemanni who is very calm and quite handleable, but the one I had years ago was a total spaz whom I would never dream of handling.

Joy

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
but the one I had years ago was a total spaz whom I would never dream of handling.

Joy [/B][/QUOTE]

A spider Joy wont handle? I gotta see that one!!

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looseyfur said:
er this kinda blows seeing as I really wanted a Aphonopelma seemanni but the more I look and research I think she may be a Cyrtophylis porpo. Anyone ever deal with a Cyrtophylis porpo? shes touchy and fast and pretty secretive , some other reasons I tend to think shes a C. porpo is size for age, I figure her about 3.5 inches and looks rather mature to me. She was a rescue from a Petco and honestly I thought her a A. seemanni when I picked it up. ( no I didnt "pick" it up literaly cause it seems to want a peice of me even when I just open the tank for crickets) ... I dont know if I am going nutz but also since I got her I have heard a funky squeeking in the wee hours... and no I dont drink. So whats the deal with that? Honeslty if I can get resiltue identification and shes a porpo someone else cant have her aggro-ass. I find myself questing for the more docile types these days.
thanks -
Ed.:confused:

I will have to borrow a digital cam so perhaps someone can ID her for sure...:?
My portoricae were an overall brown with a dark brown carapace and also dark brown on the femurs.As far as 3.5" mine were only about 2"-(5cm) were extreme burrowers and were very defensive...but would rather scurry back down the burrow instead of putting up a defense....peace..

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pelo said:
My portoricae were an overall brown with a dark brown carapace and also dark brown on the femurs.As far as 3.5" mine were only about 2"-(5cm) were extreme burrowers and were very defensive...but would rather scurry back down the burrow instead of putting up a defense....peace..
Hey, this thread is like a year and a half old.