I shower with my Avic

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
Yeah I know that sounds creepy but I don't think my misting does justice for my avic's humidity preference so whilst I'm showering I have my baby girl hang out on my towel and she soaks up all that humidity I think she likes it, I mean I would if I was Colombian. :cool:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol you just let it sit there on a towel?

My bedroom is right next to the bathroom and I have a ceiling fan in my room, the bathroom has a eater. When I shower I turn on a box fan to circulate air between the bed and bathroom and take a nice long hot shower. Raises the temp and humidity in the room and I'm sure my A. metallica likes it.

... having it out of it's enclosure while showering though ... I don't think I'd do that.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I know that sounds creepy but I don't think my misting does justice for my avic's humidity preference so whilst I'm showering I have my baby girl hang out on my towel and she soaks up all that humidity I think she likes it, I mean I would if I was Colombian. :cool:
Misting doesn't do much of anything, period.

This practice seems extremely foolhardy, because it could decide to go for a walk and find a nice hiding place.

I agree with xhexdx though, some things are better kept to yourself....

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you mist a bunch of stuff in the room you keep your T in such as curtains, hanging clothes, bed sheets etc. will that raise the humidity in the room?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If you mist a bunch of stuff in the room you keep your T in such as curtains, hanging clothes, bed sheets etc. will that raise the humidity in the room?
Why not just use a humidifier in the room the spiders are in?

Misting anything, doesn't do a whole lot for humidity in general. It only briefly raises it, but doesn't help to hold humidity.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well I was about to say I don't have a humidifier but I actually DO have a humidifier :p

Don't think it works too well though

I actually don't even have a humidity gauge yet. I cannot afford.

Borat.jpg

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yepp..... just waiting for the OP to post that their avic is missing. It's pretty irresponsible to leave your T sitting on a towel while you take a shower.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually don't even have a humidity gauge yet. I cannot afford.

Borat.jpg
You don't really need it unless you have one of the few humidity sensitive species, so save the money and buy another T. :)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would probably forget it was on the towel, blindly grab for the towel to dry off, and end up squishing my t.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
It is entirely possible that the OP meant the tank(with the spider in it) hangs out on the towel. If this was the case, however, I would have expected a quick clarification. I'm thinking troll. If the OP was a noob, they probably wouldn't be calling their Avicularia an Avic. When I was a noob, some three years ago, I didn't even know you could have a T other than G. rosea.
As xhexdx said, most people in their right mind wouldn't just let a T out in their bathroom, let alone share it with people they know will object. This being said, this person probably isn't in their right mind. This deficient mental capacity is manifesting itself in one of two ways; either the OP is just looney, or the OP is a troll. Both of those hobbies require very little mental ability. Unfortunately, keeping tarantulas requires some amount of sanity. I suggest you stick with the trolling hobby(or not), but do it somewhere else.

--Dan

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, Dan, I started calling them avics before I even got a T, so that's no guarantee.. And when I read it I assumed the tank was in the bathroom.. Anywhooo, I smell a new entertainment source!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You know what is even more condusive to the maintenance of a positive and productive environment on the boards than speculating on, joking about and poking at trolls? Reporting them to the moderation staff. We can do fun things like check for duplicate accounts, ban accounts and IP addresses etc. We can also start handing out infractions to those who want to turn the boards into a grade school playground rather than share information about arachnids.

I would like everyone to look down and to the left. See the little yield sign with the line in it? If you click that, it reports the post to the moderation staff. We get an email indicating that something is wrong on the boards. Then we deal with it. So first a couple caveats:

- we have always tried to maintain an environment where spirited debate is allowed. So we aren't going to take action because someone disagrees on your husbandry techniques or someone bummed you out by correcting some factual inaccuracy.

- we don't moderate for the benefit of angry mobs or by public poll or to the whims of the reporting user.

That being said, if you are interested in fostering a good learning environment on these boards and not simply seeing who gets to be class clown elect, there is a lot we can do to help out. All we ask is a little help in finding the problems (we can't possibly read every post made on here) and that you don't make the matter worse. Case in point is this thread. A single report and an IP check would be all that is needed to confirm that this was indeed a bogus thread started by a bogus user. Instead, I have to go through and delete half of the posts in the thread.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited: