I seem to have acquired a psycho T

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just thought I'd tell you all about the new psychopathic ball of fury I've just acquired.

I'd had my eye on this little beastie in our local pet shop since Wednesday when we got Leon (the boyf) his Indian Violet sling. There were two in the shop, and the one I was interested in had just moulted, making its colors absolutely gorgeous. The shop keeper put the tank on the counter so I could have a look, and nudged it about so I could tell what sex it was. It TOTALLY spazed out, swivelled round, BIT him and then legged it. I knew that was the T for me, just needs a little TLC :D

So what is my little psycho beast??

A Brachypelma vagans :eek: A prime example that not ALL tarantulas conform to their textbook behaviour.

Meet Sanchez:

We got the little spazmeister out this morning to see how it liked being handled, and it seemed quite content to plod across Leon's hand, posing for the camera. However, I startled it by moving and it jumped onto Leon's chest and started running up his t-shirt. We thought it best to put it away before it comitted suicide or something :)

Also seems to be a bit of a greedy guts too, he's had 3 mealworms since yesterday afternoon.

Anyone else got a TOTAL psycho tarantula that's supposed to be nice and docile?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my sisters rosea! evil witch from hell! when i looked after her she used to leap at me when i changed her water, go for me when i tried to pick her up......yet whenver a girl tried to pick her up she was fine.......she hates men :rolleyes:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I own a Mexican Red Rump myself. Albeit she's a Juvie who hasn't molted yet. So she's a deep chocolate brown, not the Black and Red they're supposed to be.

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ditto to what Grael said.... i have a pretty dern mean rose hair 2!..... when i mess with her almost at all she gets all defencive and does the tradmark strike pose;P ..... the funny thing is that she is a big bluffer tho..... i try and see if she will actually strike... but she wont.....haha

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
psycho T's for me:
only the rosea bunch. All of them, except my Red Phase are absolute psychotic bitches! Not unlike many women out there....

waitta sec.... all those rosea's are girls (except for my breeding-loan male)...

i think this whole bitchy-woman thing transcends the human race =D =D

joshing, but seriously, the roseas are psychotic crazy evil things. BEAUTIFUL as hell (they're not just brown and rock-like..they're vibrant colours and aggressive as hell)... i got one that won't eat anything that's not flying, I've got one that eats only mice... then i've got one that consistantly burrows, lays low for a couple days, then flees the burrow and covers it up with substr.... this goes on for weeks..

then i got one that just 'stands' on her head in the corner of the tank... just watching everything go by....

one of them, when crickets are put in the cage, is used as a couch, or a cricket-mobile.. seriously.. its not right when the prey is literally riding the predator :) she eats anole's now and the occasional meal-wax-roach mix...

then the red phase "bitch" is very fangy... no bites, just uses the fangs as ice-picks... kind of really cool if youthink about it... plus she's gorgeous. man, if i were a male rosea..... ;)

this is all from the "pet rock" species, which i never really bought into anyways. As much as rosea's are noted as the more docile quiet rock-types, i think they have much personality, or tarantulality.... always something cool afoot in the rosea section of my collection... i swear they're conspiring against all of us that are posting "MY ROSEA IS F-ING ODD!" posts lately :)

peace,
dave

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
your B.vagans look just like my A. Seemani sling.... I wonder if there was a mix-up:? ?

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now hey. Men can be just as Bitchy as women. They just call it a different thing making their complaining and whining sound more important than a woman's.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anyways, I think they need to institute a Behavior Change with Rosies. Mine seems to not be as docile amd calm as all the profiles say. She is very skittish a defensive. She will not hesitate to throw up a nice threat posture.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its pretty funny when the rosea's get all angry-like....

"oh..look at me, i'm a G.rosea...oooo look at me all angry..."

haha what cute little punks.. trying to be all bad-ass.... its cool, because those things are voracious eaters, huh?

Godz-- (i'm too lazy to type the rest of the letters in your name, but i'll go ahead and type all this stuff out.... stupid, huh?) anyways -- i bet yours is a pretty good eater, huh?

i've never had any of that "my rosea's isn't eating, and i should know that thats normal, but i didnt really research anything before buying my T, andi bought it because its badass and now i'm cool" crap, you know... they just keep eating and eating and eating...

man this thing really went off, huh?

--> POINTLESS POST :)

peace,
dave

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Actually, even with a 'totally docile' species, booking away at being disturbed is no sure sign she's a pyscho. Even the most docile tarantula should be expected to get a little skittish on occasion during handling. After all, they are just bugs when you get down to it.

Bill

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My rosie is really defensive as well...she hates me touching her dirt or anything near her dirt. She usually runs out of her hide and assumes a threat posture when I open her cage. It's cute, but it makes cleaning up after her a hassle. She follows my hand around while I clean up cricket parts(while keeping a close eye on her).

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm finding out that my rosies are all actualy quite docile and semi-predictable. They have thier bad days, but they are pretty easy to pick out and avoid. My B.vagans are a mixed lot. Some will spin on you fast, others are skittish. My one mature female actualy seems calm, though I haven't tried to handle her because she was bred last fall and she is exceptionaly fat right now.

Cheers,
Dave

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I have 2 roseas, both female. The larger one is skittish and a terrible hair flicker. The other one is about 3 inches and used to be as docile as could be....until she started eating again. Now she gives me the threat pose literally every time I open the lid. She attacks the water when I'm refilling her dish, and she bit my tweezers once and wouldn't let go. It's not like she's starving.....she's eating like a little pig.

My family can't understand why I'm laughing hysterically when I've got a spider threatening to bite me. They just don't get it.

Leanne

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
A rosie kicking hair! that's the first account I've heard of that. Even my superbitch only tries to bite ;)

Bill

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
A rosie kicking hair! that's the first account I've heard of that. Even my superbitch only tries to bite
Yep...she's a flicker. She was my first T. My brother brought her home one night when he was drunk. The person gave it to him because she bit him all the time. He didn't even know what kind she was. She's definitely a rosea.
When my brother sobered up he remembered he's terrified of spiders and gave her to me. Good thing, he'd probably forget about her like he did his pet rat.........

Leanne

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
where,d you buy her from? i think they are great Ts:) mines is quite often doing something or stating out in the open , though she really doesnt like to be watched:rolleyes:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i've noticed that even all my crazy bitch rosea's RARELY kick hair...

they try to.. they'll do a couple little kicks, but really, no hair comres off -- its not even right on their abdomen, its like they just do the motions ---

at leats none of the bitches kick hairs... in fact, none of my T's really readily kick hairs... even my smithi is hesitant to kick the ole eye-stingers at me....

thats alright with me though! :)

peace,
dave

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by ithuriel
where,d you buy her from? i think they are great Ts:) mines is quite often doing something or stating out in the open , though she really doesnt like to be watched:rolleyes:
She came from Hawg N Herp, Kate & I don't often buy our slings in shops, but this one was irresistable, especially after it bit the owner :)

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) he must like getting bit , when i was there he said he had been bit a few times by his cobalts=D ok that came out wrong but you know what i meant:rolleyes: