I see why...

captmarga

Arachnobaron
People cross post from the sexing threads. I posted a photo of the molt from my P scrofa (named Venus) there yesterday. 21 views... replies... zilch. I really thought I had a good enough photo to do the sexing from. Am I doing it wrong?

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I did - did you look at the photo posted in that section, under that heading?

Thanks,

Marga

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I did look at the pic. Its a little folded where the lady parts would be, drop some soap/water on it and it will flatten out. When the molts are still fresh they like to stick together and not flatten out completly.

It does appear to be male at second glance but im not 100% with that pic.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
That looks to me like a female. I can see somewhat of a flap there. If you add soap to the water it will penetrate the exo and make it soft. Tarantulas are water proof but soap penetrates into the exo.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
With reading glasses and a magnifying glass, I think I see a flap. The molt is only 2" across, it's an immature dwarf species. I have another that is supposed to be female... but she is new and I have no comparison molt.

Marga

Lorum

Arachnosquire
I see a female there. BTW, if you still have doubts... looking for the epiandrous fusillae is not a waste of time, if your pictures are good enough.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too posted a picture quite some time ago and I never got a reply. Am I alowed to make a thread asking for a sex?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Thanks. My eyesight isn't that good for tiny detail even with reading glasses, and that's the best my poor camera would do. I just don't feel like upgrading the camera right now... that's for later this fall.

I think it's female... which is fine, the name is generic (Venus, vee-noo in French is also a male name). Just have to get used to calling Him a Her.

Marga