I needhelp...money wise...

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
What would be the cheapest, but still conventional way to house, feed, and just plain out buy the spider?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Use plastic shoe tote from like Wal-mart, the top of a jar for a water dish. and a bag of peat for substrate. A rose hair (G. rosea) would be the easiest tarantula to find, and could get by with no hidding spot.

Last edited:

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
Thanks but I will want to buythe spiderI buy a hiding spot. I was also wandering what you were talking about with the Plastic Boxes Im guessing from Walmart?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There called show offs and cost $2.97. I have all my adult tarantulas, Scorpions, and Pedes housed in these.

Ps When I said find I meant in the pet store for sale.;)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cage: $2.97
Substrate $4.99
Tarantula: $14.99
half log hide$4.99
Water dish: free
With a sales tax rate of 4.5% it would be $29.20

I am guessing on some of the prices, but I know you can get a rose hair tarantula at Petco fo $14.99. With one Tarantula you could get by on a dollar a week in crickets and thats over kill.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you check dollar stores, sometimes they have the plastic boxes cheaper....the ones around here also carry peat sometimes.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an idea for a cheap hide for your T. Use sour cream or chip dip bowls (washed first, of course) or styrofoam bowls. Just cut the edges off and cut a door out. Good way to recycle those plastic containers.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Yes, it's very easy to do. I use a drill and go real so one hole at a time so as not to crack it. A better way would be to heat a blunt object up and melt holes along the top. If you check out this thread you will see a pic of tall one I use for my pedes. http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4166
I also use a lot of the Show Offs, shoe boxes, snap tops, etc. Any cheap, clear plastic storage box works great. I have a much easier way of drilling the holes though that really helps prevent cracking. I use an exacto knife with a new blade. Put the tip where you want the hole, apply a slight pressure and twirl the handle of the blade in your fingers. It will start to "drill" the hole, then just give a bit more pressure and maybe a bit of angling to get it just right. As long as you don't apply too much pressure the plastic won't crack. Be warned though, there are some types of plastic this won't work on - the super clear rubbermaid food storage jars are one. It will work on their softer plastic lids but it will crack the brittle clear plastic on the sides as will a drill. In that case you'd need to use jwb121377 method with the heated nail to melt the holes in.
Just remember this - the less you spend on housing the more you will have for a spider :D Tarantulas really are rather undemanding so far a housing goes - usually, if the cage setup is pleasing to your eye (and/or wallet) it's just fine for them too.

Gail

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
I use an exacto knife with a new blade. Put the tip where you want the hole, apply a slight pressure and twirl the handle of the blade in your fingers. It will start to "drill" the hole, then just give a bit more pressure and maybe a bit of angling to get it just right.
That is a good idea, I'll have to try it.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another way to make a hole is with a soldering iron. You can get a cheap one at the hardware store for like $8. Same pricple as the heated nail, but about a million times easier. This method has the advantage of leaving a little ring of melted plastic around the hole, which re-enforces it and prevents future cracking. With the soldering iron, I can burn dozens of holes in minutes.

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, you can buy a plastic shoebox for something like .99
I got my soldering iron for $3.99 at Ace Hardware. Plastic hides can be made from plastic cups from Taco Bell etc cut in half!
Water dishes can be made from Gatorade lids, or mayonaisse jar lids etc.
Peat moss or potting soil is REALLY cheap for a small bag. If you have a Goodwill store near you, you can get glass housing for cheap, but you will have to fashion an escape proof lid.
good luck!
Holley