I need some T. Blondi advice

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
An agonistic stimulus promotes a given behavior (and an antagonistic one inhibits a given behavior).

Also, saying that they evolved to live in the rain forests is probably incorrect. They've been around as a species a long time before there were any rain forests in South America given the recentness of the last ice age. I'm not familiar with what fossil data there is to say one way or another, but it's unlikely that many current theraphosids originated in the same environment they're found in today. They just happen to be adapted for that niche.

As for your example, I never said that wasn't how it would have worked but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with survival needs and based on a number of keepers I know of who keep blondi dry with water dish for years on end, I'm saying the hypothesis that they need the moisture is very weak.

EDIT:
As an analogy: evolutionarily speaking, we've got responses to refined sugar that are very similar to something like cocaine elicits. It provides a strong stimulus to seek out and consume foods high in sugars. Now, in a wild environment where we're living hand to mouth this was a great behavioral response. Humans are "captive" nowadays, though, and there is no limit to sugar or any other type of food source for most of us. Yet, we still have that predilection towards the sugary foods.

Now, consuming lots of sugary foods isn't toxic, and depending on your base metabolism might even be good to an extent. Regardless, though, it is definitely not a behavior necessary for survival any more AND it carries a lot of correlated problems with it including increased amounts of diabetes, obesity, and tooth decay with the species as a whole.

In the wild, seeking out moist environs for such a large animal which depends on internal moisture for locomotion and hunting as well as the usual functions is a survival advantage that I am sure outweighed any potential problems. Now, we keep them in captivity and it will still instinctively seek out the moist environment even though we know that this increases the likelihood of potentially fatal fungal infections as well as increasing the likelihood of mites, bacteria, and other fungal problems. If slowly changed over from a moist environment to a dry one, we can't show any downside.

So, just because the spider seeks out the moisture like a fat woman hugging a poodle going for the snickers bar while she refills her gas tank, it doesn't mean there's anything actually beneficial about the behavior in captivity and at least some reason to believe there are detriments that argue against allowing that behavior free reign.

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So it has been established that they can exist in dry and humid conditions. What would be interesting over time, is to record life span, appetite, growth, and fertility of said species at two set levels of humidity. There would have to be many monitored in this manner, but it would be really cool if a keeper had 10 female t blondi's from the same eggsac, and divided into 2 groups to monitor the different environments.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by sheri
So it has been established that they can exist in dry and humid conditions. What would be interesting over time, is to record life span, appetite, growth, and fertility of said species at two set levels of humidity. There would have to be many monitored in this manner, but it would be really cool if a keeper had 10 female t blondi's from the same eggsac, and divided into 2 groups to monitor the different environments.
Oh to have the facilities and the ten or more freaking years to do these sorts of studies :)

There's a good reason why most of our husbandry information is poorly documented or extrapolated from isolated cases.

T-Virus

Arachnopeon
Substrate answers

Thanks for all the information on the subject of substrate. I will now take this info and do a little more reserch and choose a subsrate.
I kind of like CodeMonkey's take on the Humidity and wet compared to dry comments and will consider them highly. I always would prefer to do things with less effort and expence.
Once again thanks to everyone for helping me out on this subject.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep all my blondis "wet" And it works fine ;) Just check out the Humidity in those countries blondis live in and keep them that way...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Substrate answers

Originally posted by T-Virus
Thanks for all the information on the subject of substrate. I will now take this info and do a little more reserch and choose a subsrate.
I kind of like CodeMonkey's take on the Humidity and wet compared to dry comments and will consider them highly. I always would prefer to do things with less effort and expence.
Once again thanks to everyone for helping me out on this subject.
It is important to note that if you have a long term captive that you do switch them over gradually. The working theory is that the cuticle of the exoskeleton changes according to their external environment. If you take any T used to living in 75% RH with moist substrate and instantly move it to 30% RH and bone dry substrate you may very well lose the spider to dessication. Just like we adapt to drier or hotter or colder environments over time, so don't they.

Drier is *not* the only way to keep them, it's just what I recommend based on my own viewpoints of animal husbandry, behavior, and a good bit of laziness thrown in for good measure ;)

Shox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"It is important to note that if you have a long term captive that you do switch them over gradually."

how slowly should this change take place?

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My husband would really love to have a T. Blondi, preferrably a goliath birdeater, but I was nervous about getting a difficult tarantula. At least I now have hope that I could possibly handle having one of those, though I'm not as brave as some when it comes to handling them lol. The usambara is a far as I've gone.

Laura

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by xanadu1015
My husband would really love to have a T. Blondi, preferrably a goliath birdeater, but I was nervous about getting a difficult tarantula. At least I now have hope that I could possibly handle having one of those, though I'm not as brave as some when it comes to handling them lol. The usambara is a far as I've gone.

Laura
As far as I know (unless I am mistaken) a Goliath Birdeater is simply the common name for the T Blondi, and it seems to be the only difficult tarantulas to have are the ones that require a lot of attention to their environments, or if they are aggressive which is only an issue if you plan to handle them.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I loved Code Monkey's Snickers Bar analogy...... =D =D
That one just about made me spew my beverage onto the keyboard.

On the other hand, I love straight organic peat as a substrate....
I've never had any sort of nasty bug or fungus problem with it. After several years of buying pre-packaged crap at the pet store I am now kicking myself in the rear about all the money that I have wasted on such useless (not to mention dangerous) stuff....

danielr6543

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Prone to mold if kept too moist and prone to all manner of fungus gnat and scuttle fly once they get a bit soiled if kept moist. I've had the stuff get like a fruit fly culture before I swore off of it for anything except completely dry species (and then you might as well use straight peat for 1/10th the cost).
Code Monkey nailed it right on there.

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Laura
I have 3 Blondis at the moment and they are IMO as easy to care for as Roseas, in fact the roseas makes me more nervous because of their capricious behavior.
/Hogge

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use Flukers all natural moss, peat, and vermiculite, equal mix. I keep it damp but not wet! And a large water dish and all has been well! I do this with all my rainforest species!I just got a new T-blondi 2 days ago! But I think its a male:( But will have to wait till the next molt!

Happy collecting, Eric Griswold

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by SeekneSs
I never had mold problems... and i only use compressed bricks...
Here's a pic of the substrate... (don't mind the spider ), maybe it isn't coconut...
No, that's coconut.

You're not alone in not having problems with it, I've certainly seen plenty of people who like it and have used it long term. But, once you've seen a terrarium switch over to a maggot farm once, and I have, you may not be so keen on it after all.

I've yet to have any problems with peat based substrates, I have had problems with coir based substrates, therefore I choose peat over coir and recommend the same to others.

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would basically get a t. blondi to look at (I think they are really pretty), I'm not brave enough to pick them up. Mostly what I have seen with t. blondi's is that as soon as someone opened the top of their cage, they were kicking hairs like crazy. They seemed more defensive then aggressive. I guess I'm hemming and hawing on this.

Laura

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Code Monkey: you rock!!=D

As for the substrate issue, I am grateful you all pointed out keeping the blondi drier is a possibility.
I use straight peat for all the slings I have, and have not had any problems.
I mixed potting soil and peat for the blondi, and with higher moisture than the others, and I have little bugs and flying things in there within two weeks. :mad: That stuff sucks, it must go!

Thanks for the tips, all.
D.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would basically get a t. blondi to look at (I think they are really pretty), I'm not brave enough to pick them up. Mostly what I have seen with t. blondi's is that as soon as someone opened the top of their cage, they were kicking hairs like crazy. They seemed more defensive then aggressive. I guess I'm hemming and hawing on this.

Laura
Mine is not nearly as defensive as she was originally. I think she has gotten used to the constant vibrations when we are home (one dog, 2 young kids) and I open up the top and remove her water dish glove free, and re-arrange occasionally without worry. Of course, I guess she could always surprise me, but she has virtually no hairs left to kick since she was very defensive at first, and lost half when I tried to feed her (mouse) and she was not hungry, and lost the other half in a move from a 10 gallon to a 40 gallon.