I need some help? i am a newb!

Biledemon3

Arachnopeon
okay let me start by saying that i currently own three tarantulas and i have no idea how the heck i even begin to tell if they are male or female?

Where do i look and what am i looking for?

I see there is a sexing form here but how do i even know where to post the pictures?:wall:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just post the picture in the sexing thread.

You can upload the pic to a file sharer like photobucket and then use the little insert picture button (the little mountain) to upload it to the page.

If you want to know what to photograph, a pic of a freshly molted shed, inside the ventral surface would be the most absoulte way to determine the sex. Failing that, a ventral shot of the T will give some insight. It cannot be absolutly determined via the latter way but may be a good place to start until you get a molt.

Here are some threads to show you what you should look for

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=54718&highlight=sexing
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=807459#post807459

Hopefully this helps a little.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The way i found out how my spider was male, is by looking at the pedipalps. If they're just narrow, it's a female. if the pedipalds end in a big, round hand-thing, it's male. trust me, you'll be able to tell. Hope this helps!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The way i found out how my spider was male, is by looking at the pedipalps. If they're just narrow, it's a female. if the pedipalds end in a big, round hand-thing, it's male. trust me, you'll be able to tell. Hope this helps!
No, this will only tell you that you don't have a MATURE male. It could still be a male, just one that hasn't had the final molt yet.

Biledemon3

Arachnopeon
huh?

Hey thats too advanced for me what the heck is the pedipalps?:eek:

Biledemon3

Arachnopeon
thanks.

okay well that anatomy site helps a little. Umm i uploaded pictures of my spiders molt, would i be correct to say that its a male?:?

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
First get a few good Books and REALLY read them, and visit as many dealers as you can

This is a great site and I love it, yet we all have opinions and sorting through them all is not easy and over whelming. To help you out, I would do what I did before I even found this site: get 3 or 4 good books.
I am listing them here in order of understanding.

First to read and purchase is

Tarantulas and other Arachnids (Barrons) by Samual Marshal
I simply love this book and I can safely say most people on this site do also. Great easy to understand writting, and great pics and good species coverage.
-- or if you cant find that one, try this one
----Tarantulas as a new Pet by Barbara Reger- this is the ONLY tarantula book published by TFH that is worth anything at all- the rest of TFH books are not written by true T hobbiests. I like Reger's style and she knows her stuff, shes the real thing not like the other TFH poser writers. TFH books are pretty good with Tropical Fish, and I love their books, but the Barrons books have taken over on average.

The second book I would purchase and read after reading the first 2 is the ultimate:

The Tarantula Keepers Guide (Barrons) by the Schultz's This book as every possible thing you could ever want to know, yet does not cover individual species very well, but thats not its point. It gives you everything else you need.

Lastly, I also like Arachnomania:The General Care and Maintenance of Tarantulas and Scorpions. by Philippe de Vosjoli. OK this guy is not a true afficionado but his book has some good points, and is all in black and white. There is some good solid info to be gained from this book, just read Marshal and Reger before hand.

Finally, go to as many dealers that you can find- this can be a challenge, in person and look at how they keep their stuff. Ask all the questions you can, but having read a few books first, you'll know if the dealer is full of <EDIT> to an extent. I learned alot by seeing how people kept their animals. Meeting and reading about Ts allowed me not to get as over whelmed on line and to form a basis for understanding.
Going to reptile shows as well is not a bad way to see spiders either. Just do your reading before you get a new T. Not all Ts are easy to care for and if you want to not waist money, the more homework you do and reading and asking, the less you will be disapointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
okay well that anatomy site helps a little. Umm i uploaded pictures of my spiders molt, would i be correct to say that its a male?:?
The pictures in your gallery are not clear enough or detailed enough to give you any input on the sex of your tarantula.