i need some big help

garett

Arachnopeon
i recently got my first aboreal p. irminia. which is my first small sling prox .5". i have a pic below to show my problem. it looks like mold or mil dew. i left it alone at first because it looked like a web he had made but then it got worse. will this kill it? im changing it to night but im wondering if the damage is already done. i dont know what i did wrong i used cotton ball to hold drinking water plus i kept moisture in the eco earth and thought that i had enough ventilation holes. some one plz help and correct what i have done wrong. i put a stick in there that i got at repticon. pls help i love this t its my favorite.

Attachments

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont know what i did wrong i used cotton ball to hold drinking water .
Bingo. Take out the cottonball, moist substrate will be enough for a sling to drink from. When it's about 2" you can give it a small waterdish, like a popcap. Make sure the stick is dry and the substrate is damp. You can even just keep one area of the substrate damp, maybe an area away from the stick, that's what we do with our arboreal slings. You can also mist the sides but wetting the substrate is better IMO.

Just clean out the container, ditch the cottonball, and you'll be fine.

Cass

garett

Arachnopeon
thank you so much i didnt know bout drinking from the sub. was enough. i probably will try to add more air holes to just in case but there are a good bit. thanks for the speedy reply. and i am going to try to get this fast bugger in to something to clean it out dont know how thats going to go. thanks -garett

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ran into this problem before I started adding ventilation to the top and bottom of my sling containers. Also the cotton ball is a big no no. I have a three inch versicolor that I have never given a water dish to (raised it from sling) I just spray once a week or so. You just want to make sure they are not dry for too long or wet for too long.

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
Yeah. i've found that a sling smaller than 2" doesn't need a water dish, from 2" upwards you can put a bottle cap and increase as the t grow's, and i agree, the cotton wool is a big no- no... But that's how we learn.

Sutekh

Arachnopeon
Personally, I would change the stick out for a slice of cork bark. Most arboreals like a humid environment, so my focus has always been to sterilize everything before setting up the enclosure (the substrate included) and cork bark is mold resistant.
Enjoy your irminia...great species (miss my boy...matured out)!