i need info on a theraphosa sp.

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
i posted pictures of my bird eater in comparison to a x box controller, and i wanna know if i should just keep feeding it crickets at this size or if i can feed it very small mice as in fuzzies or pinkies

Attachments

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stick to inverts, but please, feed her up a little bit ;) shes looking rather skinny ;)

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
yes she was like this when i bought her i have only had her for a week and i was askin cause i assumed freeding her smaller mice would help fatten her up really quick

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

sorry i have a small vocabulary and invert is?

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
thank you ill have to remember that one thats whats cool about this stuff is if you dont know something somebody else deffinetly does

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Id also recommend getting the humidity a bit higher (70-85%) in the enclosure as it looks a tad dry to me from the photo's

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes she was like this when i bought her i have only had her for a week and i was askin cause i assumed freeding her smaller mice would help fatten her up really quick

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

sorry i have a small vocabulary and invert is?
Mice have wrong nutrients, better would be frogs, roaches, big locusts, crickets etc. It is also important to feed you feeders with high quality food.

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
?????

what kinda frogs for the future do places usually sell feeder frogs?

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jolsen91,

I strongly suggest you to buy this book, read it and come here with more questions;

http://www.amazon.com/Tarantulas-Ot...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298523208&sr=1-1

It's easy to read, cheap and it would make you learn the basics. Written by Sam Marshall, a biologist that knows a lot about Theraphosa. Although it's kind of old book, is still good for a start.
I think you should have done research before getting this tarantula species, since they are a bit more delicate than most terrestrial NW species such as Grammostola, Brachypelma, Acanthoscurria, etc... but anyway, I hope the tarantula will be ok.

and please, moisten that substrate!! ;)

Cheers,
Pato-

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
Jolsen91,

I strongly suggest you to buy this book, read it and come here with more questions;

http://www.amazon.com/Tarantulas-Ot...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298523208&sr=1-1

It's easy to read, cheap and it would make you learn the basics. Written by Sam Marshall, a biologist that knows a lot about Theraphosa. Although it's kind of old book, is still good for a start.
I think you should have done research before getting this tarantula species, since they are a bit more delicate than most terrestrial NW species such as Grammostola, Brachypelma, Acanthoscurria, etc... but anyway, I hope the tarantula will be ok.

and please, moisten that substrate!! ;)

Cheers,
Pato-
this is not my first rodeo son i have plenty of t's i know about heat and humidity the eating habits though is what i was laking infromation on about the theraphosa

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Too dry and too skinny. A simple search an you will find more than enough info on caring for theraphosa.

Matt

jolsen91

Arachnopeon
its a theraphosa i know this for sure. the substrate was dry in that photo doesnt mean im stupid enough to keep it dry all the time. also as i already said it was underweight when i bought it form the pet store ive been feeding it regularly and it is starting to show promises in weight gain.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Too dry and too skinny. A simple search an you will find more than enough info on caring for theraphosa.

Matt
a simple post on here and ill find information i need oh wait thats what i did and i got the info i needed imagine that

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea it's probably easier typing your whole post then going to the search bar an typing in theraphosa feeding. Two words compared to a couple sentences. This is the reason that the same topics get brought up everyday on here.

Matt

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This T is too small for verts (at least, safely and humanely) and even huge Ts don't get anything bigger than hoppers (reasons debated a zillion times).
I would suggest superworms, roaches and some stores sell feeder geckos. I pay mine between 2 and 4$ it's like caviar for all my Ts..

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, if you don't mind a suggestion, I'd add more substrate. It looks like I can see the plastic black edging at substrate level. One, these species like to have a burrow to retreat to (good for humidity in there) and two, the distance from the sub to the top of the enclosure might be too high (esp as it's butt gets bigger). I can't see how tall the tank is but still something to keep in mind.