I need help. A Gigas appears to have a split in its plates

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
I need help one of my female A Gigas seems to have mysteriously developed a split between segments. I don't know why or what to do. There's no reason I can think of that she should be injured I am the only one that messes with them and I only took her out when I saw this to take a picture

Attachments

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
I need help one of my female A Gigas seems to have mysteriously developed a split between segments. I don't know why or what to do. There's no reason I can think of that she should be injured I am the only one that messes with them and I only took her out when I saw this to take a picture

Attachments

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
Until someone with more experience answers, I would relocate to a clean tub, use damp sterile bandages, and put a very temp patch of scotch tape over the split (maybe put it over a sterile bandage then pull off, to reduce the tack for easy removal?). That will hopefully protect her until someone with a better knowledge has a chance to answer. My fingers are crossed for you. Hopefully someone with more experience has good ideas for protecting her.

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
Until someone with more experience answers, I would relocate to a clean tub, use damp sterile bandages, and put a very temp patch of scotch tape over the split (maybe put it over a sterile bandage then pull off, to reduce the tack for easy removal?). That will hopefully protect her until someone with a better knowledge has a chance to answer. My fingers are crossed for you. Hopefully someone with more experience has good ideas for protecting her.
It seems to just be the outer shell there is still a membrane underneath so she's not totally exposed I had someone on Facebook tell me they thought she was probably going to mold but from what I've read and I understand she's not showing any signs of molting. To be honest I am new to millipedes so I don't know if it was in overextension some maybe or if it could possibly be an infection I'm so clueless

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
I'm only a few months in myself. I know that if you have heavy objects in the cage with them, those things can shift if they dig under them and it can hurt them. I'm still learning who everyone is. I know Erin and Peter are very experienced, and there are others who I don't know names of with tons of knowledge. Peter's East Coast but keeps late hours from what I've seen, and Erin is my time zone, so may show up yet tonight (11 pm where I am). Hopefully they'll have good suggestions

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
I'm only a few months in myself. I know that if you have heavy objects in the cage with them, those things can shift if they dig under them and it can hurt them. I'm still learning who everyone is. I know Erin and Peter are very experienced, and there are others who I don't know names of with tons of knowledge. Peter's East Coast but keeps late hours from what I've seen, and Erin is my time zone, so may show up yet tonight (11 pm where I am). Hopefully they'll have good suggestions
It's a pretty plain set up

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
She is so beautiful - hope she is ok. I just had a Flameleg split like that (I posted a picture after he began to molt). His splits weren't quite as wide or deep; but we can hope that is all it is? Keep us posted.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I share your concern. It almost seems like one segment "seized" on another...there is that tissue between them and as long as that does not get punctured she shouldn't decline in health but having that membrane exposed is a bit frightening. I almost think that there's not much you as the keeper can do. I might try to push down on the base of the seized segment and "unlock" it so it can snap back into place but this could tear some of that critical protective tissue so I would do it very gently and if it is not helping leave it alone.

Very sorry this happened.

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
Update no change in the parents I have separated her into a bin by herself and she is still crawling around and eating. One person told me it could possibly have happened during a meeting attempt. Occasionally the mail will get a little aggressive or over eager and been the female back too far causing a similar crack in that general area

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
I recently had one of my Africans show damage similar to what you described. I was sure she was going to die. I few days later she curled up and hid. This morning she was out and eating and the plates had closed up and healed. She hasn't molted. Did your girl survive?

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
I recently had one of my Africans show damage similar to what you described. I was sure she was going to die. I few days later she curled up and hid. This morning she was out and eating and the plates had closed up and healed. She hasn't molted. Did your girl survive?
She is still alive eating and everything I am just waiting to see if it goes away when she mulch but I know with the larger ones that can take a while until then she isn't complete isolation with no Decour other than some oak leaves

Rebeca

Arachnopeon
She is still alive eating and everything I am just waiting to see if it goes away when she mulch but I know with the larger ones that can take a while until then she isn't complete isolation with no Decour other than some oak leaves

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
This is good news; glad she is doing fine. I think as long as that membrane doesn't split, she will recover in the next molt. I think you are doing everything right. Taking the décor out was a great idea. Remove all the chances of injuring her any further.