I need advice!

Pisalover2003

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone.:) I have a question about possible long term effects if a tarantula were to fall. I know that the terrestrial species will die on impact if dropped, but earlier today, my tarantula escaped. I found her soon after I discovered that she was gone, behind my bed. She seems to be in exellent condition, but I find this to be remarkable, considering she must have fallen
5 feet or so from the top of my dresser. I don't know how she survived. She looks fine; however, I was wondering if she might have internal damage, and if so, could I treat her for it? I would appreciate any help, as I am new to the tarantula world.Thanks.:)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a T gigas that fell three feet and was fine for 24 hours and then just went into a death curl. A fall is always a thing of concern with any tarantula, arboreal or terrestrial. I would keep an eye on it for a few days to be safe.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That will vary from situation to situation. A lot depends on the size of the T as well. A full grown adult T. blondi that has been living at Joy's house for a while would most likely pop like a balloon. However, a small sling that takes the same fall might not be hurt at all.

It is somewhat similar to how one person can fall off the street curb and die where another can survive a skydiving mishap. It just all depends. Just keep an eye on your T and you'll know soon enough if it will be okay.

Botar

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your T may have just crawled down the side of the dresser.
I'm not sure why you think it must have fallen. T's can walk up and down glass. A dresser should pose no problem at all.

BTW, welcome to our little corner of the spider world..;)

Ernie

Pisalover2003

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys for all your help. I feel very welcome here. :) By the way, I did wonder if she just crawled down the side of my dresser. It seems very plausible. She is fairly small, so I think she'll be ok. :)

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A full grown adult T. blondi that has been living at Joy's house for a while would most likely pop like a balloon.
LMAO Botar. When I first got into the hobby I was really naieve towards Ts. I had to get really drunk and decided to handle my 4" B. Albo; in the process I dropped her 3 times. Once was from about 2 ft., then from about 3 ft....then from about 4.5-5. She was fine, and still is my most active and healthy tarantula. It was amazing that she even survived. I'm not telling you this to say that they'll be fine if they fall, I'm saying it's a miracle she was fine and that sometimes that will happen. Thank the good Lord I 1). Dont' drink anymore and 2). Matured. Point being, she could have fallen, but I doubt it. If she was on a wooden dresser I'm sure she just scooted down the thing and went on her merry way.
But you never know.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If they injure themselves in a fall, you will know. You'll have a ruptured abdomen, a broken and bleeding leg, you'll have a dead T, but what you won't have is a perfectly healthy appearing T.

The only bad fall I experienced with a T was with a B. smithi as a teen. My brother knocked the cage off of the dresser she was on. She managed to roll herself over onto her back before going into the death curl (internal rupture of something). Miraculously, she wasn't dead, though. She lay like this in a 'spider coma' for weeks, just wiggling her toes now and again to let me know not to hold the funeral. Then, one day she rolled herself over and went on to having a long life. It did mess her up so much that she didn't moult for more than two years after this.

At any rate, the point is that you would know it if your T had fallen and injured itself.