I lost one...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well it's been about ten years since I lost a T to anything other than old age.. Unfortunately this E.uatuman had a patch stick to her abdomen while molting and ruptured.. I found her just a few minutes ago.. For some reason she decided to fill in her burrow and molt topside.. It could of been a failed molt do to old age as she was W/C.. I did notice a black patch on her molt so maybe there was a cyst or it's from a previous injury.. I'm honestly clueless..

I'm not posting this for condolences, I'm posting for some of the new keepers that lose apparently healthy Ts for unknown reasons and really go to pieces and beat themselves up over it.. Losses happen to everyone and today was my day..

Here are some pics of her as I found her and then a close up of her on the lid of her enclosure,lastly is a pic of the dark area on her molt that I noticed while examining it.. 20170311_003009.jpg 20170311_003144.jpg 20170311_003252.jpg

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I may as well not make another thread, so I'll just leave this here. Xenesthis immanis I received three days ago was found in a death curl this morning. I was surprised that it survived shipping given the stink when I opened the vial but was pleased to find it alive. Alas, it was thin & stressed & demonstrated some dipping of the mouthparts in the water dish without appearing to drink. She refused a roach with a crushed head.

It twitches slightly with vigorous stimulation touch, but looks beyond hope. I will have it dispatched to the freezer for quick demise rather than slowly wasting. RIP pretty thing, I hope you do not prove to be a plague bearer.

Sister spiders appear fine thus far & I am away until next week. I will have all the tools disposed of in a bin of bleach outside until I am able to deal with then personally & overnight new tools, I will also have the water disposed of & new distilled water picked up. There is little but basic maintenance that can be performed, e.g. filling water dishes. Any further rcommendations that I can delegate to an assistant in the event it expired from something communicable? It may be less hazardous to them to do nothing than on rely on help.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Condolences man. I just lost a guttata the same way last night.

Thats a beautiful species you lost. Sorry man :(

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your loss man, seems to have been a bad year for me too starting with my beloved stirmi in the same circumstances. You are absolutely right that losses happen to everyone knowing that doesn't make it easier though it does keep you from beating yourself up over like I did when I had my first death.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
That's the part of the hobby no one likes, but unfortunately, that's life. I'm sorry about your loss and do thank you for the pictures. I have never seen a rupture before so that was definitely interesting to see.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Sorry for the losses all of you mentioned. Nice thread even with the negative situation. This motivates us all to do our best on husbandry so we can reduce the chances of deaths happening while at the same time making us realize that even our best work can't stop it from occurring sometimes..

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
soo sad, I feel like not many people keep these guys too...

Id love to see more in the hobby.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the support guys I really do appreciate all of your kind words.. I still have one female, Hopefully in time I will reproduce her.. I'll probably pick up another female or two in the mean time when I see them up for grabs... That was kind of the point of this thread.. Don't let a bump in the road toss you out of the drivers seat.. Just stay positive and look towards the future...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's a bummer for sure @14pokies but don't let it stop you.
No way.. It would take a lot more than than this to make me want to give up! I think it would be different if it was something I did to cause her death but that wasn't the case.. She molted over night and when I got home that night she was already gone..