I Just Got A Rose Hair!

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
I got one at 7:00 Eastern and my brother got one too. I was wandering if I should keep the sponge inb the water dish or take it out? Beginner tips would be very welcome.

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
Substrate...

I got substrate called "Lizard Litter" the description says "Terrarium ground cover for all lizards, snakes, turtles, tortoises, and arachnids. Bacteria and parasite free. Easily digestable. Nontoxic. Ultra Absorbant. Ideal for tropical, forest, and desert habitats." They said it was made from a plant called Kenaf and that it is not wood or bark.

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
Also I made the rosehair a burrow out of a toilet paper roll covered with substrate on top and IO cleared the substrate behind the roll so that I can see into his/her burrow. He/she is a sling and it about 3-4 inches long. What instruments should I use if I want the spider to move? What do you keep the crickets that you are going to feed to the tarantula in?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd take the sponge out....it's a breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also, you don't necessarily have to make a burrow, as not all rosies burrow. Just provide a hide of some sort and position it so that you can see her. I have tried Lizard Litter, and I found that it works well for rosies.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everybody's buying rosehairs! nice!
Pategirl covered the sponge, don't know that substrate, so can't comment on that. Actually the only thing I have to say is that 3-4 inches is not a spiderling anymore, I think a rosehair of that size could be adult, but more likely a juvenile.
Succes with your new spidie :)
Joost

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

I ahve the same substrate! It works really well! Great choice on the rose hair and good luck!

James

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
Is a burrow I made using a toilet paper roll a good hide? My brother's Rose Hair is hidingin his/her all the time.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Originally posted by HannibalCmp
Is a burrow I made using a toilet paper roll a good hide? My brother's Rose Hair is hidingin his/her all the time.
It should be fine!

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by HannibalCmp
It will work fine, just remeber to replace it when it becomes soiled.

Ps. Welcome to the wonderful world of tarantulas. :)